PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] any alternatives to unity ?

5PUTN|K
December 28th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Well, I've been using ubuntu for some time now and I usually upgrade it as soon as the new version comes out. So I did that with the last two and they've got this new shell "Unity" and well, it looks nice but with unity it takes about 5 more clicks to get anything done and I've only got a 13 inch screen so those big icons and all that do not work for me. I believe the developers are trying to make ubuntu look more like an ipad to get more users and they are doing a great job but ubuntu used to have its own thing going on and I liked that and I want it back so what I'm looking for is either a way to make unity more like the good old gnome 2 or some other desktop environment.
What I need is:
-no dock
-small icons and dropdown menus instead
-compiz compatibility or any other desktop cube
-window buttons on the top right
-and more customizability
thanks in advance

cbanakis
December 28th, 2011, 06:04 PM
You can install Fallback

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

Then you can chose fallback at the login screen.

Its a little different from gnome, and it is a bit tricky getting compiz to work.

Personally, I gave up and went back to 11.04

I too think that Unity is pretty cool, but I think it would be much better as an optional add-on.

With the small screen you have, you may even consider falling back to 10.04 Netbook Remix.
That is the greatest OS I have ever seen for smaller screens. (Shame it was dropped)
But Netbook Remix might not be for you, as the interface follows a similar concept as Unity.

Ubuntu used to be all about customization. (Linux For Human Beings)
But it looks like the new slogan is becoming. (You WILL Use Unity, And You Will Like It)

Still a great OS, but I think I am done upgrading, at least till we put all this non-sense behind us.

AgentZ86
December 28th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Well, I've been using ubuntu for some time now and I usually upgrade it as soon as the new version comes out. So I did that with the last two and they've got this new shell "Unity" and well, it looks nice but with unity it takes about 5 more clicks to get anything done and I've only got a 13 inch screen so those big icons and all that do not work for me. I believe the developers are trying to make ubuntu look more like an ipad to get more users and they are doing a great job but ubuntu used to have its own thing going on and I liked that and I want it back so what I'm looking for is either a way to make unity more like the good old gnome 2 or some other desktop environment.
What I need is:
-no dock
-small icons and dropdown menus instead
-compiz compatibility or any other desktop cube
-window buttons on the top right
-and more customizability
thanks in advance

I do not like Unity myself, however I've recently updated all the older desktops and somethings I found

Use of the windows keyboard keys to bring up and type what your looking for or just the first letter of an application and hit enter and the application opens

You can put items on your left panel, and also dashboard to find stuff is not great but I can live with it

I installed compiz-manager-settings from the software center to change things around

Also LXDE or Gnome 3 can be installed from the software center and does work well

You can select Gnome classic from the login screen, but if you have auto login then you need to uncheck the autolog in so you can select your inteface

Also the LXDE is fast and simple enough also

Anyhow Hope this helps, but I suggest giving it a couple weeks of using Unity and learn just a bit about it.

I don't like it as I said however I do see some benifits because many people are computing from their HUGE LCD TV's which makes the larger icons actually much better then the menu screens

But for desktops I still prefer the normal menu structures

Anyhow just my opinion, hope this helps

Lars Noodén
December 28th, 2011, 06:16 PM
A lot of people like XFCE for that reason. To get it you can install Xubuntu-desktop or xfce4.

helmarfernandes
December 28th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I´ve made a clean install of 11.10 and I like the unity environment. But not for me.

With 10.10 I have had Compiz working fine, Cairo Dock and all that great stuff that makes ubuntu the best choice for me.
And what is more important: no crash, quick response and stability.

With 11.10 I tried to install compiz but nothing has changed.
My laptop is a Pavilion DV6910us 4GB ram, 320GB HDD, Amd Turion x2 64bit.
The Nvidia chipset is the M7350 and the automatic upgrading for my video driver was successfully done with the current version.
When I click any link at the bar it takes two or three seconds to open the application (such as Libreoffice writer or Firefox) while with 10.10 I hadn´t to wait for nothing... all the responses were instantly.

So my conclusion is: even with a 4GB ram, a dual core processor, a Nvidia card, Unity seems to be good for those who have a brand new machine whit dedicated Video Card and the most powerful processors.

alenis
December 28th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I use lubuntu on my old laptop. It is really fast and has all you need to work. On the computer that I use for my job I installed Debian with XFCE. It is really fast, stable and good looking.

5PUTN|K
December 28th, 2011, 07:40 PM
So.. gnome-fallback's seems to be ok and people who use XFCE/LXDE rarely complain. Couple of questions though:
-Can you get compiz effects like the cube on those lightweight desktops? (XFCE/LXDE)
-Also, has anyone ever had any experience with KDE's desktop?

by the way I totally agree with cbanakis and I'd hate ubuntu becoming something like the "free mac"

drdos2006
December 28th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Check this out.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11570728#post11570728

regards

schworak
December 28th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I am using GNOME. I hate UNITY! It is easy enough to use but adding stuff to the launcher or personalising the look/feel is impossible. Especially for anyone serious about development.

Pistolebob
December 29th, 2011, 12:48 AM
So.. gnome-fallback's seems to be ok and people who use XFCE/LXDE rarely complain. Couple of questions though:
-Can you get compiz effects like the cube on those lightweight desktops? (XFCE/LXDE)
-Also, has anyone ever had any experience with KDE's desktop?

by the way I totally agree with cbanakis and I'd hate ubuntu becoming something like the "free mac"

Yes, with XFCE and LXDE you can install compiz and use the desktop effects.

I am using KDE since unity reminds me of Apple at the moment because it is verboten to change anything.
Kwin in KDE has desktop effects and the desktop cube too, it's almost the same as Compiz.

bob-linux-user
December 29th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Have you tried installing MATE on Ubuntu 11.10?
http://www.howtoforge.com/install-gnome-3-with-mint-gnome-shell-extensions-or-mate-on-ubuntu-11.10-oneiric-ocelot-p2

After installing add the mint menu to the panel instead of the default menu and then "Places" uses the older (and better) style of Nautilus, which is now renamed Caja.

lolpenguin
December 29th, 2011, 01:47 AM
It isn't impossible to customise Unity, unlike everyone says, but it is much *HARDER* than anything else.
GNOME Shell extensions are awesome:)

aimwin
December 29th, 2011, 02:08 AM
One more Option

Hybrid Unity and ClassicMenu Indicator

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1900756

try that.
Best Wishes.

5PUTN|K
December 29th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Tried gnome fallback session, gnome3, xfce and plasma. Doesn't work for me cuz you know it's buggy and all that and I'm not having a go but I liked ubuntu better when it was orange, when they made it purple they changed their philosophy too. It's not just about the interface for me anymore. When you think of it canonical has never been a non-profit organisation so it's only natural for them to want to make ubuntu more popular as opposed to actually making it better. So I installed debian and I dont think I'll be switching back to ubuntu any time soon. When the going gets tough the tough get going.
Thank you for your help. Cheers.):P

helmarfernandes
December 29th, 2011, 08:27 PM
After six days of Unity I´m giving up from it...

It´s sad, but if I want to be up to date with a Linux distro my only option is to look for another distro than Ubuntu...
Sad... very sad

BigSilly
December 29th, 2011, 10:28 PM
The very best alternative for me is KDE. Absolutely awesome. It's amazing because you can basically make it anything you like. Stick bars and widgets wherever you want, or have a simple clean desktop. It's the very best Linux DE imho, though for some reason it doesn't seem to get the love it should.

I tried a few KDE distros, but Kubuntu 11.10 struck me as a personal favourite. I just preferred it over openSUSE for example, as it didn't seem to exhibit bugs in the same way, and just looks prettier. It's a bonus that it's based on Ubuntu of course, and the Muon Package Manager and Software Centre work extremely well. In fact I love the whole thing so much I'm giving serious consideration to moving away from Gnome based distros, especially as I just haven't had to fight so much with it to get it how I like it. I haven't had to add extra tweaking software because it's all there in KDE.

The KDE devs have said that though they intend to pursue the mobile forms, they won't be impacting or leaving the desktop model behind. This is terrific news imho, and reason enough to move to KDE for me.

c2ypt1c
December 30th, 2011, 01:36 AM
The very best alternative for me is KDE.

+1
LXDE(Lubuntu) is nice as well, but I'm a huge C++/QT fan and as such, KDE(Kubuntu) is my personal favorite. In fact, I don't consider it an alternative :)

Mia1990
December 30th, 2011, 06:55 AM
I kind of like unity but with the nvidia drivers it doesn't work on most computers.I'M running Gnome 3 using the open source driver works great.The nvidia driver worked good too on gnome 3 i just like using open source software whenever I can.

Myrddin Emrys
December 30th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Have you tried installing MATE on Ubuntu 11.10?
http://www.howtoforge.com/install-gnome-3-with-mint-gnome-shell-extensions-or-mate-on-ubuntu-11.10-oneiric-ocelot-p2

After installing add the mint menu to the panel instead of the default menu and then "Places" uses the older (and better) style of Nautilus, which is now renamed Caja.

Alternatively, it's just as easy (and cleaner - no Mint baggage) to get MATE directly from the developers:

http://mate-desktop.org/
http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/doku.php/download

Three commands and you're done:

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://tridex.net/repo/ubuntu oneiric main"
sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring
sudo apt-get install mate-core

It's still in active development (so use at your own risk, etc.), but if you want an up to date Ubuntu that looks and functions just as it did before Unity, this is as close as you can get.

Sijmen
December 30th, 2011, 03:40 PM
As Lars wrote earlier, XFCE is a good alternative. I'm coming from OS X and Unity is comparable, but in no way alike. I went for XFCE for customization and to create a OS X like environment. I'm not there yet, but with Docky I get a better dock. The one reason why I want a dock is so that I have the launchers for all my applications available..... anywhere...