PDA

View Full Version : call wget on perl

trotos
December 28th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I'm writting a script in perl where I'm calling wget to download some files from an ftp server the command is as follows:

system ("wget", "--follow-ftp", "--ignore-case", "-A *chipseq*peak*.gz", "-r", "-c", "-nd", "-nH", "-P ~/Desktop/BioProject", "ftp://hgdownload.cse.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/hg18/encodeDCC/");

the proble is the "-P ~/Desktop/BioProject" it doesn't write anything to the Desktop but rather in the wget folder!!!

I'm on mac Os X and I've installed the wget from souce.

shawnhcorey
December 28th, 2011, 04:45 PM
You have to expand it using glob():

my $dest = glob( '~/Desktop/BioProject' );
system ("wget", "--follow-ftp", "--ignore-case", "-A *chipseq*peak*.gz", "-r", "-c", "-nd", "-nH", "-P $dest", "ftp://hgdownload.cse.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/hg18/encodeDCC/");

ofnuts
December 29th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I'm writting a script in perl where I'm calling wget to download some files from an ftp server the command is as follows:

system ("wget", "--follow-ftp", "--ignore-case", "-A *chipseq*peak*.gz", "-r", "-c", "-nd", "-nH", "-P ~/Desktop/BioProject", "ftp://hgdownload.cse.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/hg18/encodeDCC/");the proble is the "-P ~/Desktop/BioProject" it doesn't write anything to the Desktop but rather in the wget folder!!!

I'm on mac Os X and I've installed the wget from souce.The "~/" shortcut is really a shell thing, and it is not understood by the file system (the shell expands it before passing to commands). It has to be resolved (as in the post above).

nvteighen
December 29th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Isn't there a cURL module for Perl? If there is one and I'm sure there has to be one, I think that'd be much better than calling wget like that...