PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu wins

jermza
December 27th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I'm not a fanboy, but I've come to realise that Ubuntu is the best distro around.

I migrated to Linux about a year ago, as a creative. I forced myself to learn the sharp curve of Gimp instead of Photoshop and have never looked back. I'm no techie, so using Terminal is not my strongest point. (I have to copy and paste.)

A few months ago when 11.04 came out, I was uncertain about Unity. A HUGE amount of Ubuntu users seemed to moan about it. I found it buggy and tried Mint 11. I was happy until Mint 12 came out because it seemed like it had no direction and felt unpolished and not very workable. I then moved to Ubuntu 11.10 and, while I like it, there are bugs that drive me mad.

I then tried OpenSuse, Fedora, and even Xubuntu. OpenSuse and Fedora are too far removed from what I am used to, and Fedora's free-only philosophies are self-restricting and make life complicated. Xubuntu, while a bit snappier at times, is also slower than Ubuntu at times, I've found. It doesn't feel finished either.

I then went back to Ubuntu and must say that the global menu has grown on me. I like the clean, integrated feel; it looks polished and uses less screen space. Unity is buggy but certainly more progressive than the usual drop-down menus of the 90s.

I didn't think so, but my daily work flow has increased on Ubuntu 11.10. The integration and overall visual design is remarkably ahead of competing distros.

Anecdotally speaking, Ubuntu wins.

grahammechanical
December 27th, 2011, 04:09 PM
On my machine I have set the opacity of the top panel to zero. It makes the top panel transparent. Also the launcher is set to autohide as well as almost transparent. It gives me a clear screen, side to side, top to bottom background image. It does not look like I am using a computer. I like it.

Regards.