PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Get out of fallback mode

mhsy
December 27th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Hello,

A few days ago, I installed an update for a font renderizer, and ever since then, I have been unable to use the normal mode on my machine. Unity does not work, and Gnome 3 is stuck in fallback mode. I have tried reinstalling the display drivers, but that didn't work.

glxinfo | grep render, and other outputs give me an error:

X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 155 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
Serial number of failed request: 12
Current serial number in output stream: 12

While my computer is still usable, I want to get it back to normal if possible. This has happened once before, but I am not sure how it got fixed...

Thanks,
Jean

Frogs Hair
December 27th, 2011, 05:30 PM
You can get the name of the updated package name from history in the software center and attempt to reinstall it.

Install the synaptic package manager if not already , search for the package , right click on the line where the package is located , mark for re-installation , and select apply.

There is no direct rendering being detected for some reason . Below is the output for the computer I'm using .
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8400 GS/PCI/SSE2
GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_copy_image,
GL_NV_path_rendering, GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_NV_point_sprite,
GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info, GL_OES_depth24,
GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap, GL_OES_get_program_binary, GL_OES_mapbuffer,

mhsy
December 27th, 2011, 06:08 PM
You can get the name of the updated package name from history in the software center and attempt to reinstall it.

Install the synaptic package manager if not already , search for the package , right click on the line where the package is located , mark for re-installation , and select apply.

Frogs Hair,

Thanks for the reply. I reinstalled everything that was installed over the past two weeks, but no results unfortunately. Everything is exactly the same as before.

There is no direct rendering being detected for some reason . Below is the output for the computer I'm using .
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8400 GS/PCI/SSE2
GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_copy_image,
GL_NV_path_rendering, GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_NV_point_sprite,
GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info, GL_OES_depth24,
GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap, GL_OES_get_program_binary, GL_OES_mapbuffer,
I should also add that Gnome 3 and Unity used to work perfectly before, and it did have direct rendering (I verified that previously).

I am still looking for ideas on what to do to fix it.

Thanks again!

mhsy
December 29th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Bump?

mhsy
December 31st, 2011, 05:20 PM
Hey,

I managed to fix the issue. It turns out that fglrx was not uninstalling properly. What I ended up doing was downloading the driver from the (AMD site (http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx)), and installing it using
sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-12-x86.x86_64.run --forceAfter that, I ran the uninstall script, and everything worked properly.

Marking as solved.