PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't remove sun-java6

Davis Bre
December 27th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hi all!

I have problem with sun-java6. I can't remove it, and when I try to install another program from Ubuntu Software Center, computer shoot out an error that I need to reinstall Java package. When I tried to remove Java in terminal, my computer still demand to reinstall Java.
davis@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get --purge remove sun-java6
[sudo] password for davis:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: The package sun-java6-bin needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

And, if it makes matter, my computer is Lenovo B560

Hope to hear solution for this problem.

Davis Bre

Davis Bre
December 28th, 2011, 07:07 PM
???

dabl
December 28th, 2011, 11:15 PM
sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get purge sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin

Any errors?

sammiev
December 28th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Read this (http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java) near the bottom. :)

Davis Bre
December 29th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Still nothing, I need to reinstall java. But now I will try sammiev's advice.

Davis Bre
December 29th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Read this (http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java) near the bottom. :)

Still nothing. I have deleted folder of java some time ago, and maybe it's the reason why I can't remove it, but thanks anyway. Actually, I don't care about that , that java isn't working and it just exists on my computer but, what makes me care, is that I can't install or remove other software and, of course, install Ubuntu updates. Is there any suggestions how can I remove that block, what makes unable to install new software?

sammiev
December 30th, 2011, 01:03 AM
It will delete all versions of java if you follow all directions. You will need some version of java for the internet. :)

Davis Bre
December 30th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Now my Java application is working. So now I don't want to remove it, but now I have a new problem, I'm unable to install new updates, because of the error:
An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'E:Type 'ain' is not known on line 3 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ferramroberto-java-oneiric.list'

Where do I need to send report?

sammiev
December 30th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Now my Java application is working. So now I don't want to remove it, but now I have a new problem, I'm unable to install new updates, because of the error:

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'E:Type 'ain' is not known on line 3 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ferramroberto-java-oneiric.list'

You need to remove that line from your sources.list.
Ubuntu Tweak is a great program for that. You can also do it from System Settings then Software Sources.

Davis Bre
December 30th, 2011, 09:00 PM
You need to remove that line from your sources.list.
Ubuntu Tweak is a great program for that. You can also do it from System Settings then Software Sources.
I follow to your advice, but it only changed text in the error. I forgot to mention that I have Ubuntu 11.10. I went in Software Sources -> Other Software and removed all, one by one, but it only changed text in error.

'E:Type 'ain' is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ferramroberto-java-oneiric.list, E:The list of sources could not be read., E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'

Any ideas what else I can do? I have tried sudo gedit... command, but it shoots out an empty page, where isn't any line at all.

spacecheck
December 30th, 2011, 11:03 PM
I follow to your advice, but it only changed text in the error. I forgot to mention that I have Ubuntu 11.10. I went in Software Sources -> Other Software and removed all, one by one, but it only changed text in error.

'E:Type 'ain' is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ferramroberto-java-oneiric.list, E:The list of sources could not be read., E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'

Any ideas what else I can do? I have tried sudo gedit... command, but it shoots out an empty page, where isn't any line at all.

Yes, I suggest you correct that line (or each line with that error) to add the missing -m- from the word -main- and see if it solves your problem.

Good luck!

sammiev
December 30th, 2011, 11:35 PM

Please also run the following command:

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ferramroberto-java-oneiric.list

Also see this (https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+question/177618) Bug Report.

Davis Bre
December 31st, 2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks a lot! That Bug Report were very helpful, and my Ubuntu again works properly.

Davis Bre
December 31st, 2011, 01:38 PM
My Ubuntu seemed working properly, until I restarted it to complete updates. I think, that it would be easier to reinstall OS. But how can I do it? I have tried: sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh -a , it works for a wile and then stops with this error:

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the stop(8) utility, e.g. stop cron
cron stop/waiting
dpkg-maintscript-helper: error: couldn't identify the package

And, when I tried: sudo apt-get install -f it shoot again error.

How can I reinstall Ubuntu. Mother google almost always shows only the ways how to install Ubuntu. And my Ubuntu is in dual boot with Windows 7.

I can use Ubuntu in Xubuntu and XFCE sessions, because in Ubuntu session isn't start menu and menu toolbar on the left side.

sammiev
December 31st, 2011, 03:53 PM
You have errors in your updates? So likely it's in your source list. When you run a update post the error here.

Davis Bre
December 31st, 2011, 04:43 PM
davis@ubuntu:~$ apt-get update
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

sammiev
December 31st, 2011, 04:58 PM
Start a new thread with that info and I'm sure one of the devs will be by to answer your question. PM the link after as well as I want to follow this one. I'm hoping to learn from this one as well. :)

spacecheck
December 31st, 2011, 06:08 PM
davis@ubuntu:~$ apt-get update
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
<br />
You need to add "sudo" before the command