PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No clues, stuck with installing (x)ubuntu

artti
December 27th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Hello everyone,

I have been trying to install ubuntu on my computer for two days now. Computer won't boot from USB, so I tried CD, I had two of them, written by two different people and computer just gave error: kernel panic - not syncing: attempted to kill init! I read it might be hardware problem.

Then I found I could use wubi, I did it, but it installed ubuntu 11.10 amd_64(I figured out later that I have intel). It was heavily slow. I tried to disable effects and to go to install xubuntu-desktop, but it wasn't much help, because it seemed to stay same. I gave it up and tried to install something else and deal with that ubuntu later.

Last night I tried unetbootin, to install xubuntu 10.04.02 on the hard drive. In the middle of install screen hmm... how you say... went black to go screensaver mode. I moved mouse and screen just stayed with the desktop image. No programs. I waited half-an-hour and then I thought that computer got stuck and so I forced shut down. Now this morning screen gives me: no default or ui configuration directive found!

I don't know what to do anymore.

I had Windows XP professional and also Ubuntu 11.10, but those are not probably useful anymore because of installed broken xubuntu thing.

Options: I have another small laptop I could use fixing another computer. Empty 8GB usb stick. No empty CD's probably and anyway big computer can't burn at the moment. I don't care about windows xp, but I do care getting computer back to work somehow with some lightweight linux distribution on it(like xubuntu).

So, does anyone know some trick, hint that could lead me to positive results?(I know one: write kicker-cd and boot from usb(if that wouldn't give another error), but I live 100 km away from another cd-writer, so it would be long-term option).

Please, and thank you!

artti
December 27th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Something new happened:

I took out the usb and restarted and now it gives: reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

artti
December 27th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Made few restarts and now I can get back to windows xp and unetbootin... So I give another try to install xubuntu.