PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Distribution Upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10 from to 10.04 Error?

MelPhleg
December 27th, 2011, 09:41 AM
:confused: p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } 1. I wanted to upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10, as the upgrade manager said was available. I've ad no problems updating & upgrading before this. So, I went ahead with the upgrade after I did the most recent updates. The upgrade was loading fine.
2. I wanted to make an updated backup copy of my firefox bookmarks to a usb flash drive, of which i've made such backup copies of bookmarks before.
3.as the upgrade of the OS was downloading, i right-clicked on the desktop copy of my bookmarks & clicked on copy.
4. however, for some reason the "open with firefox" selection got clicked on without me knowing it, & as a result, proceeded to open up every single bloomin' 100's & 100's of saved bookmarks.
5. i couldn't get it to stop at all, no matter what i did. so i decided i had to physically turn off the puter to get it to stop. which it did.
6. however, the OS upgrade was still running & was forced to stop in mid-stream when i turned off the power.
7. then upon a full reboot & running update manager, i get the message of the partial upgrade nonsense. my OS was not upgraded to 10.10.
8. so, i canceled the partial & re-clicked on the OS upgrade in update manager.
9. it gets thru "Preparing to upgrade" & "Getting New Software Channels" then it pops up with "Do you want to upgrade? 15 installed packages are no longer supported by Canonical. You can get support from the community. 24 packages are going to be removed. 243 new packages are going to be installed. 1311 packages are going to be upgraded. you have to download a total of 980M. This download will take 7 days 10 hours with your connection. [of which is DSL of a slower speed, as it costs less than the high DSL speed. very limited funds anymore.] Fetching and installing the upgrade can take several hours. [7 of course] Once the download is finished , the process cannot be cancelled.

then in same pop-up, it lists the details of all the packages that are no longer supported, to be removed, new ones installed & upgraded.

10. never, ever has any OS upgrade, in my experience on this puter, required to take such an insane amount of time to go thru the whole process ( 7 days 10 hours !!!?,) let alone telling me it has to download such an insane amount of packages just counting the upgraded ones - 1311!!!?).

A. what in the world is going on here?
B. why is it doing this nonsense?
C. was this nonsense caused by the previous problems i encountered & the resulting actions i had to take, or is the OS upgrade issue a problem everyone is having lately?
D. is there a way to fix it so the puter functions properly without breaking the OS operation totally?

(no Linux-proficient-person instructions, please. i'm not one of those. i've no idea how to use code, nor alter such an OS with any kind of code. find some way to explain it in a more dummy-proof Windows fashion. even tho i've used puters for many years & know how to deal with a good number of puter problems & know how to find info & answers to a good number of puter problems (learning more over the years), i still do not, nor need to want to know how to write code, & am not able to program them nor write/change code to fix/change them.))

E. do i bother at all with continuing the OS upgrade or do i wait for the next version to come down the pike, & hopefully it will upgrade properly? i read the issue about doing an OS upgrade that's too far in advance from what one has. 10.04 isn't that far above 10.10 to require such a repeated step-up upgrade.

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } any other info from my side of the screen needed?

mörgæs
December 27th, 2011, 11:20 AM
6. However, the OS upgrade was still running and was forced to stop in mid-stream when I turned off the power.

The explanation is here. Turning off power can create a mess, and I doubt it is worthwhile to carry on trying to upgrade, especially if you don't want to use "code" - which I assume means "commands".

I would find a place with fast internet connection and download a 11.10 ISO, then do a fresh install.