PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Synaptic Pkg Mgr & Installation

UltimateCat
December 27th, 2011, 05:14 AM
:) Hi!
I have Linux/Ubuntu: Ultimate Ed 2.7 and I am wondering about SPM Synaptic Package Manager.

Can SPM see a unpacked driver ( or other files ) in a folder on a desktop?

Is SPM the only way to install anything software or hardware?

If not....How would one ( after extracting) find the download folder in Ubuntu?

Sorry so many questions but I'm a newbie trying to understand my OS :)

Very confused where things are and how they work....:confused:

snowpine
December 27th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Hmm, I can tell you are a little confused :) but not what your actual question is. :(

You mention "drivers" so I'm guessing you have a piece of hardware that's giving you trouble, maybe wireless, video, printer... ?

Give us some info so we can help you. :)

UltimateCat
December 27th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Hmm, I can tell you are a little confused :) but not what your actual question is. :(

You mention "drivers" so I'm guessing you have a piece of hardware that's giving you trouble, maybe wireless, video, printer... ?

Give us some info so we can help you. :)

K, I have 2 drivers sitting on my Ubuntu partition side.

One is the driver for my NIC RTL8111/8168B; my Realtex internal card.
I attempted several times to get Synaptic Pkg Mgr to recognize the driver and install it. Installation was not a success, I wasn't prompted to click Mark for installation.

I don't understand why SPM isn't doing what I (think) it should be doing...meaning install the driver. Should I not use SPM?

The other driver is NdisWrapper. I learned that I would have to use Windows Wireless Drivers at the end of my System's Menu to install it.

I am trying to install the driver because I believe that it ( getting kicked off my online connection ) is causing the problem and hope that the driver for the internal card will help.
Hope this helps you, I am trying:o

snowpine
December 27th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Hmmm, I just typed "RTL8111/8168B" into the Search bar at the top right of the screen and got dozens of hits, including this one from just 3 days ago with someone who says "This worked for me!"

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1634291

Of course you must be careful that you follow a how-to specific to your Ubuntu release.

If you let me know which wireless card you have, I will try to dredge up some info for you.

UltimateCat
December 27th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Hmmm, I just typed "RTL8111/8168B" into the Search bar at the top right of the screen and got dozens of hits, including this one from just 3 days ago with someone who says "This worked for me!"

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1634291

Of course you must be careful that you follow a how-to specific to your Ubuntu release.

If you let me know which wireless card you have, I will try to dredge up some info for you.

My internal card is :
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)

I really appreciate you helping me...I've been trying so hard to get my Ubuntu online for 5 weeks now-