PDA

View Full Version : A good story about my Amazon Card

forrestcupp
December 26th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I got an Amazon card for Christmas to buy some e-books. Part of what I got was the entire Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy set. I thought it was pretty humorous when I saw that my remaining card balance ended up being 42 cents. :)

CharlesA
December 26th, 2011, 03:45 PM
That's awesome. Hitchhiker's Guide is an awesome series, I read it a long time ago in "normal" format. ;)

cortman
December 26th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Awesomeness!!

LOVE the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The whole series is fantastic. The humor is second to none, IMHO, except perhaps P.G. Wodehouse.

mips
December 26th, 2011, 04:13 PM
That's a awesome collection!

One can only wonder what Douglas Adams would have come up with had he not passed away.

forrestcupp
December 26th, 2011, 04:33 PM
That's awesome. Hitchhiker's Guide is an awesome series, I read it a long time ago in "normal" format. ;)

Yeah, I already had the whole set in "normal" format. I'm just really enjoying reading books on my Transformer.

I debated on whether or not is is ethical to just download a torrent if you already own a physical copy of the book. I came to the conclusion that I'd rather not break the law whether it is ethical or not.

Warpnow
December 30th, 2011, 06:39 AM
It would theoretically be completely legal to make your own ebook if you had the time/effort. I hear they have devices designed specifically for that which allow you to make an ebook from a hard copy in under 20 minutes.

forrestcupp
December 30th, 2011, 04:15 PM
It would theoretically be completely legal to make your own ebook if you had the time/effort. I hear they have devices designed specifically for that which allow you to make an ebook from a hard copy in under 20 minutes.

Yeah, I saw that, too. It's legal to scan your own books for the same reason it is legal to rip an mp3 from your CD. If you don't want to spend weeks using your flatbed scanner, then you have to buy a device like you're talking about. Unfortunately, they still cost about $15,000 dollars.

You could buy a heck of a lot of e-books for that amount without having to do any work. :)

Warpnow
December 30th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I saw that, too. It's legal to scan your own books for the same reason it is legal to rip an mp3 from your CD. If you don't want to spend weeks using your flatbed scanner, then you have to buy a device like you're talking about. Unfortunately, they still cost about $15,000 dollars.

You could buy a heck of a lot of e-books for that amount without having to do any work. :)

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/12/diy-book-scanner/

forrestcupp
December 30th, 2011, 06:50 PM
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/12/diy-book-scanner/

Awesome! I still wouldn't want to stand there and turn the pages, though. When you can have a scanner that automatically turns the pages for $300, then I might be tempted.