PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] access to windows

Jonatan Formentera
December 26th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Hi, I have windows 7 and I installed Ubuntu 11.10. I'd like to know if I can create an access from ubuntu to windows to work in both systems without restarting the equipment
Thanks

Elfy
December 26th, 2011, 10:28 AM
No you can't run your windows from inside ubuntu - you could install one in the other with a virtual machine, you can though access files in windows from ubuntu.

squenson
December 26th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Hi,

I think it is not possible the way you have installed the two OSes 'side by side'. The only way I know to work in parallel with Windows and Ubuntu is to install one as a virtual machine inside the other one: one OS will be the host and the other one will be the guest. Go to VirtualBox.org for more information.

jerome1232
December 26th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Let me make sure I properly understand the question, You want to be able to run Windows from within Ubuntu correct?

Or do you simply want to be able to acess your Windows files from within Ubuntu?

The first is not possible, but.....

You can use a virtual machine which will emulate a computer, you can install windows into a virtual machine and you will be able to boot that virtual machine and use it like it was it's own computer, the problem is it's taxing on your machine, you need a powerful machine to do it with lots of ram, and video isn't going to be good enough to do things like 3d gaming, although it's more than sufficient for most work/study needs.

The second is easy, You should be able to click on your home folder in the unity launcher, and it should be listed in the left hand pane under the devices column.

edit: Redundant posts much? bleh I'm a slow typer I guess.