PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Any hope for install with Gigabyte G1 Guerrilla?

FM1
December 26th, 2011, 04:01 AM
My husband gave me a very, very fast system for Christmas. Unfortunately, being a Windows guy, he bought the components without thinking to make sure they were Linux-friendly, and the motherboard seems to be a problem, or at least its SuperSpeed USB device is a problem. When I try to boot from the CD to install Ubuntu, I get several "WARN: short transfer on control ep" messages from xhci_hcd. It says, "USB hub found" then "4 ports detected" and then it just hangs. I've tried two different Ubuntu discs, hoping the disc itself might be the problem, but no joy. I've used Ubuntu for years, but every other time, it's just worked. Is there anything I could do...something I could disable in BIOS, maybe, to get it to install? I really want Ubuntu on this machine, and the rest of the hardware should be compatible.

For the record, I can't just tell my husband I want another board; he had the stuff shipped to his office and went in early every morning for over a week to get it all put together so I'd be surprised, and would be able to use it on Christmas morning.

NM...10.04 LTS installed and works.

SuperFreak
January 1st, 2012, 06:37 PM
Curious, did your USB superspeed and other features of the Gigabyte MB work? Thinking of building a new computer with an X79 MB and haven't ruled Gigabyte out entirely.

FM1
January 17th, 2012, 05:15 AM
I don't know. I don't think I have any devices new enough to need more than USB 2.0. Everything appears to work properly, I don't get any errors on boot, logout or shutdown, and I haven't had time--or for that matter, inclination--to go poking around, looking for problems. It seems fine, and if it ain't broke, I'm not gonna fix it! :P