PDA

View Full Version : Raspberry Pi

Nytram
December 26th, 2011, 12:09 AM
The Raspberry Pi is due to be released in January, 3 weeks behind schedule.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Are you planning on getting one, what will you use it for?

The R-Pi is a budget computer costing $25 and $35 depending on the model, and is designed to run Linux.

Dustintendo
December 26th, 2011, 12:35 AM
im planning to get one to use as a media center, with an external hard drive

apmcd47
December 26th, 2011, 01:37 AM
I have only heard of this in the last week or so. I currently have no plans to purchase this but will keep an eye on it. It is an interesting concept: taking the hobby computer of the late 1970s and the home computer of the early 1980s and dragging them into the 21st Century. For instance a model railway enthusiast could connect one to a USB-programmable controller for his model railway, making a portable railway kit for exhibitions. As it can run off 4 AA batteries it is an ideal candidate for such projects.

Those who dislike Microsoft's stranglehold on the computer market will probably see this as the golden bullet that will finally break that stranglehold. No doubt we will hear of a Microsoft-sponsored rival at some point.

I think the fact that initially they will be shipped without cases may stop some of their target audience from purchasing them at first.

Good luck to them! And let us hope that more hobbyist programmers are created by this project.

Andrew

Nytram
December 26th, 2011, 01:53 AM
I agree it does need a case, and I hope it introduces more people to Linux. But breaking the MS stranglehold, I can't see that happening.

Mars11
December 26th, 2011, 05:51 AM
I plan on getting one. Probably for a file/printer server though. :P And the composite video out is nice because I don't have any monitors/screens in my house that have an HDMI in.

YfoMp5QBh2
December 26th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I've just read about this on BBC news sounds like a really interesting project! I might also consider as a htpc also. One question though, doesn't it require a hdd?

doorknob60
December 26th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I've just read about this on BBC news sounds like a really interesting project! I might also consider as a htpc also. One question though, doesn't it require a hdd?

It has an SD slot, so unless you want to load up a large media library (rather than share it over LAN), then a HD shouldn't be necessary. Even a 2 GB SD card should be more than enough.

a2j
December 26th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I'm getting one.

forrestcupp
December 26th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I've thought it looks pretty cool for a while now. But its specs are lower than my last gen phone.

BrokenKingpin
December 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I plan on getting one as a media center front end as well. I might get a few just because they are cheap and would be fun to play around with.