PDA

View Full Version : Finally Chrome alternative emerges

forcecore
December 25th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Currently with lastest versions (15> and up) of Chrome is starting to grow quite fat. Now i found lightweigt pure QT based alternative.

http://qupzilla.co.cc/

It is very well developed with basic feature set but still beta i think because sometimes it crashes.

Lucradia
December 25th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Does it allow me to disable all address bar suggestions? (Including the World and clock icon ones that cannot be disabled in Chrome?)

LowSky
December 26th, 2011, 03:48 AM
how is chrom(ium)[e] fat?

doorknob60
December 26th, 2011, 04:21 AM

I've noticed that even though it is very fast and feels light, it actually uses a fair amount of RAM, and can be very slow on really old computers (even though it's one of the fastest on newer computers). I did some very basic testing, and Chrome seemed to use even more RAM than Firefox for me (not that it's an issue with 4 GB of RAM, but it is for some people). When it comes to RAM usage on all of the "major" browsers, Opera seems to be the winner in that department, and runs fastest on the more ancient computers, based on my observations, not Chrome like many people would assume.

3Miro
December 26th, 2011, 05:28 AM
I've noticed that even though it is very fast and feels light, it actually uses a fair amount of RAM, and can be very slow on really old computers (even though it's one of the fastest on newer computers). I did some very basic testing, and Chrome seemed to use even more RAM than Firefox for me (not that it's an issue with 4 GB of RAM, but it is for some people). When it comes to RAM usage on all of the "major" browsers, Opera seems to be the winner in that department, and runs fastest on the more ancient computers, based on my observations, not Chrome like many people would assume.

According to Fedora, Chromium's people have the bad habit of just taking a snapshot of existing FOSS software and directly including it into Chromium/Chrome as opposed to linking to dynamic libraries. This leads to a very RAM demanding browser.

If you have the needed RAM, Chromium is very fast, otherwise it can be an issue.

guyver_dio
December 26th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Wouldn't this be more a firefox alternative?

Lucradia
December 26th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Wouldn't this be more a firefox alternative?

Not if it can't do what I asked, and can't have the native greasemonkey APIs (Homestar All-In-One for instance cannot be run without the native Greasemonkey APIs, and the person who coded it said they will never change it to be accepted by anything else but native greasemonkey.)

If all of them could have native greasemonkey APIs, I'd be on Midori right now.

neu5eeCh
December 26th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Hey, this isn't bad. I tested it on the-mother-of-all slow, obscenely over-larded and poorly designed websites: Huffington Post. Qupzilla handled it significantly faster than Chrome, Opera, or Firefox. Disabling cookies slowed it down mildly. I noticed that Qupzilla has a built-in Java blocker that's easier to use than noscript. Excellent. If I disabled Java, altogether, HuffPost loaded like lightning.

guyver_dio
December 26th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Not if it can't do what I asked, and can't have the native greasemonkey APIs (Homestar All-In-One for instance cannot be run without the native Greasemonkey APIs, and the person who coded it said they will never change it to be accepted by anything else but native greasemonkey.)

If all of them could have native greasemonkey APIs, I'd be on Midori right now.

I was thinking more because of the last part of its name 'zilla' and that the UI resembles firefox probably means it was more inspired by firefox than chrome.

LinuxFan999
December 26th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Chrome requires a lot of disk space. For example, on my computer, Firefox uses about 33 megabytes, and Chrome uses around 185 megabytes. Chrome Canary uses even more, around 250 megabytes.

Lucradia
December 27th, 2011, 01:54 AM
I was thinking more because of the last part of its name 'zilla' and that the UI resembles firefox probably means it was more inspired by firefox than chrome.

It's a great day that Mobile Firefox has abandoned XUL, for I much desire them to drop it all for GTK+ too.

rojaasensei
January 15th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Currently with lastest versions (15> and up) of Chrome is starting to grow quite fat. Now i found lightweigt pure QT based alternative.

http://qupzilla.co.cc/

It is very well developed with basic feature set but still beta i think because sometimes it crashes.

Qupzilla is a great little alternative to have on hand for the right circumstances. I am running the "next" beta version with no problems.