PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu

Johnny3
December 25th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Is Kubuntu part of the Ubuntu family? Supported by the Ubuntu family. Are is it like mint and just a spin off? I like Ubuntu 11.10 but would like to try something new for a while. But I like the support I can get for Ubuntu. Also could I post questions here about Kubuntu or would I have to use another forum?
Merry Christmas Johnny3

IWantFroyo
December 25th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Kubuntu is part of the Ubuntu family, along with Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Edubuntu, and Ubuntu Studio.

Kubuntu has their own forum, but questions are supported here, too.

You don't have to reinstall to try. Just run this in terminal:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Merry Christmas!

Lars Noodén
December 25th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Kubuntu is an official variant of Ubuntu and supported. You can post questions about Kubuntu here and they will be answered.

You can even install it along side regular Ubuntu, if you want, by installing the package kubuntu-desktop. In that way you can switch back and forth between Unity and KDE as you wish. KDE is a nice, powerful, and flexible desktop. I sure you'll like it.

Johnny3
December 25th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks you all.
Merry Christmas and God Bless Johnny3 65+++

keithpeter
December 27th, 2011, 04:11 PM
You don't have to reinstall to try. Just run this in terminal:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Hello IWantFroyo and all

If you have Unity and Kubuntu-desktop installed like that, I suppose you get a choice of session on login? Are you still using LightDM or does it switch to kdm as the desktop manager?

Is there any interaction or conflict between them?

The reason I'm asking is an experience I had a couple of versions ago installing DigiKam on the Ubuntu desktop (not with the rest of KDE). It brought all kinds of KDE stuff with it incluiding another notification system!

Happy new year everyone

Cheers

rewyllys
December 27th, 2011, 05:21 PM
. . . You can even install it along side regular Ubuntu, if you want, by installing the package kubuntu-desktop. In that way you can switch back and forth between Unity and KDE as you wish. KDE is a nice, powerful, and flexible desktop. I sure you'll like it.
I think I'll give it a try, but, in preparation, I'd like to know how I "can switch back and forth . . . as [I] wish". Can anyone advise me?

Thanks in advance for any response(s).

Johnny3
December 27th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I think I'll give it a try, but, in preparation, I'd like to know how I "can switch back and forth . . . as [I] wish". Can anyone advise me?

Thanks in advance for any response(s).

Yes. All you have to do is log out and you can pick Gnome, Unity, or KD. I think I could. I have already done a new install of Ubuntu 11.10 so I can't check right now. I think I have tried every live CD out and always end up coming back to Ubuntu. It is the best and easiest for me to use. Thinking about slack ware when I get anther hard drive to see if I am smart enough to install it but that can wait.
Happy New Year and God Bless Johnny3 65++

rewyllys
December 27th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Yes. All you have to do is log out and you can pick Gnome, Unity, or KD. . . .
@Johnny3
Many thanks!

The menu of choices of desktops appears in the bottom panel at login time. Excellent design--by Canonical, I assume.

keithpeter
December 27th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Hello All

I've installed the kubuntu-desktop and DigiKam, all seems fine, but the installation brought Gnome Classic and Gnome Classic (no effects) back as well. As usual, right click menus 'double up' the applications (e.g. right click on an image allows me to open it in okular and digikam as well as shotwell, GIMP and image viewer!)

I was asked which display manager I wanted to use, see thumbnail, (ldm or kdm) so I went for ldm, and my sessions are listed in the 'cogwheel' next to the box where you type your password.

@rewyllys Did you go for the KDM display manager? hence explaining the different arrangement you describe when logging in?

There is a way back to a pristine Unity;

Uninstall digikam
Run the commands provided by Psychocats (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome) from Unity in a terminal window

@Johnny3 go for it!

rewyllys
December 27th, 2011, 11:17 PM
. . . . @rewyllys Did you go for the KDM display manager? hence explaining the different arrangement you describe when logging in? . . . .
No, I chose to default to the Gnome desktop. It's interesting to learn that Canonical (again, I assume) provides different menus depending on the default choice.