PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Failed to install on a USB flash drive

dannyarcher
December 25th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie to ubuntu & linux.
For some reason, I need to install the ubuntu linux on a 8GB USB flash drive to provide myself a portable linux solution.

I just need to install ubuntu using the whole USB flash drive, but the installer said "The attempt to mount a file system with type ext4 in ...... at / failed" everytime after i have passed the step to choose which device or partition to install on.

I have tried file system type of either ext2 or ext4 , and also ubuntu version 11.10 and 10.10, all just got the same error.

Any idea about the problem?
Sorry for my bad English. thanks.

Here are some screenshots of the error message:
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/9315/ubuntu1b.jpg
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/7291/ubuntu2.jpg
(can't resize the photos in the editor so i just give links to the photos)

JD8182
December 25th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Are you able to load up Ubuntu Live from the USB Thumb Drive? Instead of installing, try it first "live" from the USB.

dannyarcher
December 25th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Are you able to load up Ubuntu Live from the USB Thumb Drive? Instead of installing, try it first "live" from the USB.
Boot Error.
What should i do?

I created the live usb with the Start Up Disk Creator and have no problem in creating other live usb.
Is it the problem of my USB flash drive?

darkod
December 25th, 2011, 03:43 PM
What are you installing from? Another usb stick? CD?

You are not trying to install onto the same usb stick you are running the install from, right?

West201
December 25th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Did you verify MD5 of the ISO ?

dannyarcher
December 25th, 2011, 05:14 PM
What are you installing from? Another usb stick? CD?

You are not trying to install onto the same usb stick you are running the install from, right?
Absolutely not.
I have tried installing from both CD and another USB stick.

darkod
December 25th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Download a new image, best with torrent because it checks for corruption during download. If it doesn't work with new image I'm running out of ideas.

dannyarcher
December 25th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Did you verify MD5 of the ISO ?
There's no MD5 provided on the official download site.
Where should i find it?

But as i remember, i have once used the current ISO to install ubuntu on one of my PC.

dannyarcher
December 25th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Download a new image, best with torrent because it checks for corruption during download. If it doesn't work with new image I'm running out of ideas.
I may try.
But i think the ISO should not be corrupted because i have used it before.
Anyway thanks for helping.

darkod
December 25th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Depending what version is it, look towards the top of the links:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/oneiric/

dannyarcher
December 25th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Depending what version is it, look towards the top of the links:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/oneiric/
Thank you so much.
Just verified and there is no corruption.

West201
December 25th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Well one other method is to install a different version and then upgrade to the current. I've found myself doing this a few times.

dannyarcher
December 26th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Well one other method is to install a different version and then upgrade to the current. I've found myself doing this a few times.
I have tried both 11.10 and 10.10.
May be i should try some even older versions ?

West201
December 26th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I have tried both 11.10 and 10.10.
May be i should try some even older versions ?

Just curious, which application are you using to burn the ISO to the USB ?

dannyarcher
December 26th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Just curious, which application are you using to burn the ISO to the USB ?
The Startup Disk Creator that comes with the ubuntu.

West201
December 26th, 2011, 02:00 PM
The Startup Disk Creator that comes with the ubuntu.

I would download Ubuntu again and check the ISO integrity using MD5. If it's possible burn it to another device perferably a CD/DVD. I'm running out of ideas, but keep me update :)

dannyarcher
December 26th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I would download Ubuntu again and check the ISO integrity using MD5. If it's possible burn it to another device perferably a CD/DVD. I'm running out of ideas, but keep me update :)
I've already checked it and the ISO ok.
May be i should find another USB flash drive and try.
It's so strange that i can't even load my 8GB USB flash drive up as Live USB, it just said Boot Error.
I've got another 4GB Kingston USB stick running as Live USB perfectly, but met the same error of unable to mount when i tried to install ubuntu on it.

kurt18947
December 26th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I've gotten the "boot error" problem when creating a LiveUSB. The LiveUSB would load in some machines but not on one, a Gigabyte M.B. w/ award modular BIOS, it would show the error message. What finally worked was to format the USB drive in Windows 7. The factory format wouldn't boot, would produce the "boot error" message but format the same drive to FAT32 in Win 7 then create a Live USB (I used Unetbootin, not sure it matters) and it would boot properly. Win 7 sets some flag or something that particular BIOS looks for. If the BIOS doesn't find that flag, it gives an error. I've tried reformatting USB flash drives to an ext* format and install Ubuntu in the usual way. It did not work for me.

dannyarcher
December 26th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Still can't find a working solution.
I'm going to try alternative install.

btw, thanks for all your help.

dannyarcher
December 26th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Even alternative install resulted in the same error.
I'm over with this USB flash drive, gotta buy a new one.

West201
December 27th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Are you using a netbook ?

dannyarcher
December 27th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Are you using a netbook ?
No, I'm using Desktop.

dannyarcher
December 27th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Just bought a new SanDisk Cruzer Blade 8GB Flash drive and had ubuntu working flawlessly!!!
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

West201
December 27th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Just bought a new SanDisk Cruzer Blade 8GB Flash drive and had ubuntu working flawlessly!!!
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

I'm glad you were finally able to get Ubuntu working, don't forget to mark this "thread" as solved ;)

dannyarcher
December 28th, 2011, 06:46 AM
I'm glad you were finally able to get Ubuntu working, don't forget to mark this "thread" as solved ;)