PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Disk Not Working

Talaya
December 25th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I've downloaded the .iso (three different versions - both 32 and 64), and I open Disk Utility and I burn the iso to the disk no problem. It takes a little while and pops out just fine with a message that all is well. This process worked for me the last time I installed Ubuntu on a machine (quite a while ago), and is exactly what the instructions say to do.
However, when I put the disk back in and have the finder try to mount it (I've had enough bad experiences with new system stuff to not try and mount it before seeing if it actually burned) it tells me "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."
I also tried to use "Retore" to put the installer on a small partition of my drive with some hair-brained idea that I might be able to mount the partition as an install disk so that can stop wasting DVDs. Disk Utility gives me the error "Could not validate source - error 254".
I'm tired of guessing.

OSX 10.5 freshly wiped from disk install. (I shouldn't need to upgrade to 10.5.8, right? Maybe something about the dowload was bad because... I dunno, some internet plugin crap wasn't up to date because it's a fresh install?)

Thanks in advance,
Sorry if it's my own blindness.
-Talaya

zvacet
December 27th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Did you checked https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM and burn is oto CD on lower possible speed.After that check disc for errors ( you shjould see this as option at the start).If everything is O.K. go for install.Other option is to try installation from usb.

routed
December 27th, 2011, 05:25 PM
If your tired of wasting DVD's you could try installing from USB (provided your MB supports it).