PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Linux or Crossplatform game?

TheNerdAL
December 25th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Mine is Assaultcube because it's not hard on resources and it's very good.

Dr Belka
December 25th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Revenge of the Titans

Trine

TheNerdAL
December 25th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Revenge of the Titans

Trine

Trine is on Linux? :O Mind=blown. Trine 2 will be next year.

Quadunit404
December 25th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Trine is on Linux? :O Mind=blown. Trine 2 will be next year.

Trine was released on Linux on 4/12/11.

I have it on the PC, so I don't know if I can say it's my favorite Linux game per se due to that. Would definitely say it's one of my favorite cross-platform games, though. For my favorite cross-platform game (as almost all the games I own are cross-platform) that would have to be Minecraft. Just began developing another world (AND I KEEP FINDING IRON EVERYWHERE GAAAAAAAH) and cannot stop working on it.

inobe
December 25th, 2011, 04:56 AM
ETQW

i dumped the demo and purchased the game.

TheNerdAL
December 25th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Trine was released on Linux on 4/12/11.

I have it on the PC, so I don't know if I can say it's my favorite Linux game per se due to that. Would definitely say it's one of my favorite cross-platform games, though. For my favorite cross-platform game (as almost all the games I own are cross-platform) that would have to be Minecraft. Just began developing another world (AND I KEEP FINDING IRON EVERYWHERE GAAAAAAAH) and cannot stop working on it.

I got bored of Minecraft. Currently taking a break from it for a while.

RomeReactor
December 25th, 2011, 05:06 AM
ETQW

i dumped the demo and purchased the game.

+1

ETQW keeps rocking after all these years.

Lucradia
December 25th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Minecraft :|

Since I have no other Linux game I like or is cross-platform without Wine.

doorknob60
December 25th, 2011, 06:33 AM
I always go for long periods of time without playing, then come back for like a month, then get bored again, but honestly, the only cross platform game I really ever play is Runescape. It's really quite good, though a lot of people make fun of it, and it's not for everyone, and it can get old after a while, but it's massive and entertaining. I can't stand Minecraft because my brother is so addicted to it that I just don't want to see it anymore :P

Quadunit404
December 25th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I got bored of Minecraft. Currently taking a break from it for a while.

I got bored of Minecraft too, but then I started to develop another world and became addicted to it again.

My favorite cross-platform game will probably become Skyrim when I buy that (not planning on doing so until the memes die down)

Lucradia
December 25th, 2011, 03:22 PM
My favorite cross-platform game will probably become Skyrim when I buy that (not planning on doing so until the memes die down)

Skyrim isn't Linux compatible though. Not natively anyway. Nor is it MacOS compatible according to Steam.

madjr
December 25th, 2011, 03:29 PM
the new native-client games are also looking good. I bet we'll see lots of new games using it soon, so less need for wine! (blizzard am looking at you !)

Bastion is one of the first and coolest:

http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2011/12/how-to-play-popular-action-rpg-bastion.html

jfreak_
December 25th, 2011, 04:57 PM
CS 1.6 all the way... yes it is under wine but the compatibility is seamless

Quadunit404
December 25th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Skyrim isn't Linux compatible though. Not natively anyway. Nor is it MacOS compatible according to Steam.

It's also for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. That still counts as cross-platform. Not EVERYTHING has to run on Windows, OS X and Linux to be cross-platform you know :wink:

Perfect Storm
December 25th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Tough call I got quite a collection of Linux games these days.

SimCity 3000
Revenge of the Titans
Gratuitous space battles

are ranked high in my book.

Basher101
December 25th, 2011, 07:33 PM
My fav is Heroes of Newerth

TheNerdAL
December 25th, 2011, 08:51 PM
My fav is Heroes of Newerth

Is it a good game? I LOVED Savage 2, great game. Just wondering if the next game is good.

Lucradia
December 25th, 2011, 09:04 PM
It's also for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. That still counts as cross-console

Fixed for you. :wink:

CompyTheInsane
December 25th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress 2 (Available on Windows/Mac/PS3/Xbox 360)

doorknob60
December 25th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I think the point of this thread was to list the best games natively compatible with Linux, not games that run on multiple non-Linux platforms :P

MG&TL
December 25th, 2011, 09:29 PM
http://redeclipse.net/

Not the most accurate, the best, or even the most free (CC, not GPL), but the futuristic Cube 2 shooter is Quake-ish and rather cuddly. :D

Also it gets developed at a frenzied rate. Couple of svn commits a day.

Quadunit404
December 25th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Fixed for you. :wink:

The PC is not a console!!!!!!!!!111111111111

Okay, change it to Cave Story. There, you happy now?

Lucradia
December 25th, 2011, 11:48 PM
The PC is not a console!!!!!!!!!111111111111

Okay, change it to Cave Story+. There, you happy now?

Now I am :V Because the original Cave Story only came out in JP, if you have it in english for PC, it's a bootleg or patch. There's also "Cave Story 3D" for 3DS too of course, and the original Cave Story was re-released for WiiWare and DSi Ware, so not PC.

CompyTheInsane
December 26th, 2011, 01:42 AM
As for Linux games, my favorite is Lincity-NG.

Quadunit404
December 26th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Now I am :V Because the original Cave Story only came out in JP, if you have it in english for PC, it's a bootleg or patch. There's also "Cave Story 3D" for 3DS too of course, and the original Cave Story was re-released for WiiWare and DSi Ware, so not PC.

Well you got me. Congratulations. Was it worth it? Because despite your classifying of the PC as a console (drgh...) the only thing you've managed to break so far is my keyboard (not really).

madjr
December 26th, 2011, 06:13 PM
oh cave story+ is on the HB, 1 day to go.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

i havent played it yet, how good is it?

Quadunit404
December 26th, 2011, 06:59 PM
oh cave story+ is on the HB, 1 day to go.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

i havent played it yet, how good is it?

Very, very good. Buy the Humble Indie Bundle 4, the other games sold with it are good too, and you get the Humble Indie Bundle 3 games and soundtracks as free bonuses if you pay more than the average price!

u-noob-tu
December 26th, 2011, 09:08 PM
PipeWalker (http://pipewalker.sourceforge.net/). i play for an hour or more each day. i am incomprehensibly addicted to this game. as far as i can tell, levels are randomly generated. as of this post i am at level 350 or something. it can get hard and frustrating (at least for me), but in a good way. if you want a real challenge, set the board size to extra large with wrap around pipes. thatll keep ya busy for awhile.

forrestcupp
December 26th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Supertux

undecim
December 26th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Cave Story (or Cave Story+, but I prefer the gfx from the original... It's more nostalgic).

I recently beat Monster X with 3 HP using only the polar star... I feel like I should buy myself a trophy, lol.

Ji Ruo
December 27th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Easily Urban Terror