PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.01 Taskbar problems

pyro.xyz
December 24th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Just upgraded to Ubuntu 11.01 and I don't have any taskbars. The only thing that I can see that resembles the task bar is a bar at the top that looks kind of like the bar that is at the top of Mac screens with the "File Edit View History Bookmarks Tools Help" tabs. In my previous Ubuntu version, I had placed the taskbar at the top of the screen for convenience. The only way to open firefox was to hit "File" and select "Open New Window", search for the firefox web browser in the file system and open the executable from there. Also, there is no bar at the top of the window with the buttons that allow you to close, resize and minimize the window, so there is no way to move the windows around so that I can work comfortably. Is there any way that I can fix these things?

kyrealtor
December 25th, 2011, 03:34 AM
With Ubuntu 11.0 to 11.04, the default desktop is Unity. Make sure you have set your user name to enter your password every time you log in. Log out. Click your User Name. Before entering your password, select "Ubuntu Classic" as your desktop. This should give you the same Gnome 2 desktop as Ubuntu 10.10. If your 11.01 does not have the "Ubuntu Classic" option, then try upgrading to 11.04, but NOT 11.10. If you upgrade to 11.10, you will be stuck with Unity. When Ubuntu 11.04 is no longer supported (it will still work but with no updates), I will either learn Unity, use KDE or XFCE, or install Linux Mint.

lolpenguin
December 25th, 2011, 05:55 AM
No, there is a problem with the desktop environment. Click the session cog (right of your username) in the login screen, and select "Ubuntu 2D". See if that fixes the problem.
BTW it is Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot"; 11.01 is a typo.

1chess2u Christian
December 30th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Thanks, I have already figured out that Ubuntu 2d thing, but now in that ubuntu 2d, the unity bar will not go away, and i am wondering if it is not just a configuration error, but I cannot find the preferences. should i try typing "unity" into a terminal? Also, my os automatically upgraded to 11.10, not 11.04, so that's kind of just stuck... Mainly I am worried about the unity bar not going away. and, the upper taskbar won't hide itself when I am playing videos or other things fullscreen, so it cuts out a portion of the top of the view, which is getting pretty annoying. :(

1chess2u Christian
December 30th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Whoops! I forgot that I changed accounts... I forgot my password (and security question... ](*,) ) for this account and created pyro.xyz. We are one in the same. I shall try to stop posting as that account.

3rdalbum
December 30th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks, I have already figured out that Ubuntu 2d thing, but now in that ubuntu 2d, the unity bar will not go away, and i am wondering if it is not just a configuration error, but I cannot find the preferences.

It should automatically hide if something would overlap it.

Also, my os automatically upgraded to 11.10, not 11.04, so that's kind of just stuck

Ubuntu NEVER automatically upgrades to a new release; did you click a wrong button in Update Manager?