PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Desktop productivity

irisblaze
December 24th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Hello,

Lat night i installed ubuntu 11.10, well the Unity desktop isn't as bad as i thought it would be, how ever I am missing some features that I had with gnome+compiz or in KDE which did help mew accomplish work faster, in particular i am missing a feature where i move my mouse to the top-right corner of the screen and it shows all open windows and i can pick one from them, anyway this could be done in unity? if no what should i do? install gnome+compiz? that's really hectic

Edit: I install compiz manager, however i can't configure it to make those windows scale when i go to the top-right edge, i can only do it via keyboard combination

mlentink
December 24th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Have you tried [Alt] + [Tab]?
Probably can't do any faster...

Larkspur
December 24th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Hello,

Lat night i installed ubuntu 11.10, well the Unity desktop isn't as bad as i thought it would be, how ever I am missing some features that I had with gnome+compiz or in KDE which did help mew accomplish work faster, in particular i am missing a feature where i move my mouse to the top-right corner of the screen and it shows all open windows and i can pick one from them, anyway this could be done in unity? if no what should i do? install gnome+compiz? that's really hectic

Edit: I install compiz manager, however i can't configure it to make those windows scale when i go to the top-right edge, i can only do it via keyboard combination

In the Compiz Manager Scale Plugin, there should be an option called "Initiate Window Picker" near the top of the Bindings tab, with an icon of a computer screen next to it. That's the one you're looking for.

IWantFroyo
December 25th, 2011, 03:44 AM
I think Super-W accomplishes the same thing. Can't check right now, though.

I would look for more Unity shortcuts if I were you. You might find something you like even better.

Also, the feature you're talking about is in Gnome shell (known sometimes as Gnome 3). To try it:

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

kurt18947
December 25th, 2011, 06:30 AM
You might find a package called "tint2" useful. It's in the repositories. it adds a bottom panel which lists all open windows & apps. If you google 'tint2' you can find some info on it. It works in Unity & Gnome shell. I added tint2 to startup applications. There is also a gnome shell extension to switch between applications and also workspaces.

IWantFroyo
December 25th, 2011, 06:50 AM
You might find a package called "tint2" useful. It's in the repositories. it adds a bottom panel which lists all open windows & apps. If you google 'tint2' you can find some info on it. It works in Unity & Gnome shell. I added tint2 to startup applications. There is also a gnome shell extension to switch between applications and also workspaces.

I use tint2 as my default and favorite panel with Openbox. It certainly doesn't hurt to try, although two panels might be bulky (if you count the launcher as a panel).

kurt18947
December 25th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I use tint2 as my default and favorite panel with Openbox. It certainly doesn't hurt to try, although two panels might be bulky (if you count the launcher as a panel).

I think you can set the size of the tint2 panel in the config file. You can also make it auto hide if you choose to. I have the launcher autohide and the tint2 panel fixed. Works for me, might suck for you. Do what feels right.