PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing over windows7 pro

koler1952
December 24th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Goodmorning to all, I'm an old guy half new user in that I've been using Ubuntu for some time installed directly onto a virgin hd without problems but the other day I bought a Acer aspire desktop M1641 with Windows7 pro demo installed which doesn't interest me at all.

PROBLEM: How to write over windows7 pro with Ubuntu. All attempts just putting Ubuntu in the DVD tray doesn't work. I've come to the conclusion I have to format the HD before with the necessary the necessary "extensions" (Not Fat 32 etc) so I've down load "Gparted live" but still am unable to use it. Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated

Christmas wishes and so on
koler1952

darkod
December 24th, 2011, 01:28 PM
You shouldn't need to prepare anything in advance. It can install over win7 during the installation.

It sounds like it's not booting from the DVD device. Can you enter BIOS and confirm CD-ROM is before HDD in the boot devices?

Alternatively, during boot up there is usually a key you can press to enter Boot Menu. On different computers it's different, it might be F12, or F10, etc. This will bring up a boot menu and you can select to boot from CD-ROM, without going into bios and making changes.

koler1952
December 24th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the reply...this is what I've been doing, going into boot and booting from DVD reader but it gets "stuck". Only Puppy linux gets me to its desktop but then mouse and keyboard don't work. If I can wipe out Windows/ completely maybe is the best solution.
Koler1952

fantab
December 24th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the reply...this is what I've been doing, going into boot and booting from DVD reader but it gets "stuck". Only Puppy linux gets me to its desktop but then mouse and keyboard don't work. If I can wipe out Windows/ completely maybe is the best solution.
Koler1952

The Ubuntu .iso could be corrupt... you can check that or download again. If you haven't then burn the .iso at the slowest possible speed.

And if DVD is not working try USB.

Does Gparted live boot?

koler1952
December 26th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Still struggling...the iso files are ok. There's surely something simple I don't understand. Disconected the HD and tried to upload Puppy linux (which can run only on the RAM) and arrives to the Puppy Desktop but mouse and keyboard don't work. Likewise other linux OS's that should run live from CD/DVD don't

West201
December 26th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Why don't you install another version of ubuntu such as 10.10 or 11.04 and then upgrade to 11.10 ?

I've had use this method a few times.

mörgæs
December 27th, 2011, 03:08 AM
As mentioned above, booting from USB is worth trying. In general it is safer than using CD/DVD.