PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Password changed by system?

rektiphyr
December 24th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Hi, I installed Ubuntu 11.10 x64 and everything went smoothly. Once I hit the desktop I installed updates and rebooted. Upon reboot I was able to login to unity, but when I try to sudo it says incorrect password attempt. I rebooted into recovery mode to change the password from the root shell, which seemed to work. While still in the root shell I was able to login as myself, and I set the passwords for both my user and the root account. But when I rebooted -- same problem again. It was as if I had done nothing. I thought maybe it was just a quirk in 11.10, and after reading about a few more 11.10 bugs I decided to just downgrade to 11.04.

Again, same story. I installed, updated, and when I rebooted, my password allowed me to login to the desktop, but not do anything in the terminal.

I'm really at a loss here. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

fdrake
December 24th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Hi, I installed Ubuntu 11.10 x64 and everything went smoothly. Once I hit the desktop I installed updates and rebooted. Upon reboot I was able to login to unity, but when I try to sudo it says incorrect password attempt. I rebooted into recovery mode to change the password from the root shell, which seemed to work. While still in the root shell I was able to login as myself, and I set the passwords for both my user and the root account. But when I rebooted -- same problem again. It was as if I had done nothing. I thought maybe it was just a quirk in 11.10, and after reading about a few more 11.10 bugs I decided to just downgrade to 11.04.

Again, same story. I installed, updated, and when I rebooted, my password allowed me to login to the desktop, but not do anything in the terminal.

I'm really at a loss here. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

with your username type in the terminal and post here :

groups

rektiphyr
December 24th, 2011, 06:48 AM
mike@Thor:~$ groups
mike adm dialout cdrom plugdev lpadmin admin sambashare

fdrake
December 24th, 2011, 06:54 AM
try to reinstall sudo (as root) and reboot:
Press Ctrl+Alt+f1 and login as root, type:

apt-get purge sudo && sudo apt-get install sudo gnome-sudo
reboot 0

let as know if the problem persists .. a lot of other ppl have experienced the same issue.. may I suggest you to try a 32 version next time, only for debug advantages

rektiphyr
December 24th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Thank you for your help, I've solved the problem. Turns out it was a keyboard layout issue. While in the root shell it was using the "Canada" keyboard, but once I logged into unity it switched to "Canada English". That resulted in my password having a / where there should have been a #.

A very silly issue, and it was probably because I selected "Canada" as the keyboard layout during installation, and later changed it from unity.

Again, thank you for your help :)

fdrake
December 24th, 2011, 07:20 AM
glad it did not turn on to be an annoying bug :D !