PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Corrupt kernels? What next?

Robbyx
December 23rd, 2011, 11:49 PM
I am running 11.04. The latest kernel is corrupted so that the os will not start. I have gone back to an earlier kernel on start-up. What should I do next to stabilise the installation and to bring the kernel up to date?

I have just noticed a large number of software updates ( 258 ) . I assume I should go ahead and install them. Will that bring everything up to date. I have just gone through the list and found a complete generic linux kernel 2.638.13.28 in the list.

Mahkoe
December 24th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Yes, that should work fine. Try it, and let me know if it goes South

dFlyer
December 24th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Install all the update and see if that corrects you problem. If it doesn't post back.

Robbyx
December 24th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I am still no further.

I can get into ubuntu with kernal ending .10. The later kernels including the current fail to load to login. I think it is something to do with the nvidia setup. It started after I tried to return to the ubuntu nvidia drivers.

What is the way to return to return to Nouveau?

I even considered a clean install, using the Lubuntu 11.10 but it will not go into graphics mode on the live disk. The MD5 is correct.

Robbyx
December 24th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Very pleased to report that I have it working at last. I reinstalled the nvidia driver and now I can log into the normal mode of the system!