PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant install ubuntu 11.10 on my HP DV2

hckim021983
December 23rd, 2011, 11:48 PM
i have an hp dv 2, i put ubuntu 11.10 on a flash drive to boot from the drive.
The laptop had windows xp or vista, i cant remember, and i was getting a bootmgr missing error. So i figured that i would just install ubuntu and get rid of windows. but during install i got an error message:
1)input/output error during read on /dev/sda

so the next step i took was to just run ubuntu from the usb, it stays on the boot up screen forever!

is there a better way to approach this?

thank you so very much in advacnce for any help!!!

Mahkoe
December 24th, 2011, 01:51 AM
I've had bad experiences with 11.10 up 'til now. I would suggest getting a different liveCD (such as gparted, http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php) and trying to figure out whether it's because your file system is corrupted, or whether your disk is busted. Try creating a new partition table, and if there are errors, I would look into getting a new hard drive/computer.

bobsageek
December 24th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Well /dev/sda is generally your primary hard drive, so it's likely that the error you got in Windows was from a failing drive. If you are booting from the USB key into a live image it's probably doing hardware detection and getting hung up on the bad hard drive.

If you want a lazy solution and you don't mind opening the computer, temporarily disconnect the hard drive (I think it's user accessible from a door on the bottom) and see if the live image will boot. Otherwise, the suggestion about GParted would be the more thorough thing to do.

Bucky Ball
December 24th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Personally I'd start with 10.04 LTS, stable and reliable, that would give a better idea as 11.10 is problematic. If all good with 10.04 LTS then install a newer release on another partition (you will get the option to select either, along with Windows).

When you 'Try Ubuntu' from the 11.10 install CD does everything work okay?

spcwingo
December 24th, 2011, 06:28 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, if you're getting I/O errors while trying to install from USB it could be that there is something wrong with either your USB flash, HDD, or even worse, the motherboard of the machine.

bobsageek
December 27th, 2011, 01:26 AM
I'm going to disagree with all the assessments saying go back to an older version, I've installed 11.10 across a lot of hardware and it's more compatible than any prior version. Let's stay focused on what is likely a dead/dying primary hard drive.