PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] mybooklive direct connection to ubuntu (crossover?)

retrodans
December 23rd, 2011, 05:37 PM
So I have a mybooklive NAS drive, and it all works perfectly on my home network. But I sometimes travel, and would like to take the drive with me to use, this means connecting without a router. I have this working wonderfully in Vista, I plug in my crossover cable, it connects, job done.

BUT when I try to do the same in Ubuntu 11, it starts throwing a wobbly. It just constantly connects/disconnects the drive. This is something I thought would have been a fairly easy thing to do, is there some extra config I need to run before this will do what I am expecting it to from within Ubuntu?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Dan Duke

retrodans
December 23rd, 2011, 05:45 PM
So, 5 minutes after posting, I try some random things, and now it works. All posts I had previously read said to use the 'local sharing' option, so I changed this to 'link-local only', and now I am in, and accessing my files like a pro.

Hope this helps others trying to solve similar issues. I do love it when I beat technology, gives me a false illusion that I am cleverer.

retrodans
December 23rd, 2011, 06:18 PM
ALTHOUGH: It does seem temperamental, I have to have the wifi off, but if I connect to my NAS, then turn wifi on for a bit, then turn it off, I can no longer access NAS, it appears to require a complete reboot before it will let me reconnect, which is quite annoying.

Anyway have an idea as to why this happens, and if there is a workaround?