PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Cairo-Dock

benpack101
December 23rd, 2011, 04:00 PM
So I fell across Cairo-dock the other day, and not being a huge fan of Gnome 3.2 nor Unity, I was thinking about trying Cairo-dock on for size.

Suggestions? Comments? Warnings?

Despite what my account says, I'm currently running Ubuntu 11.10 with Gnome 3.2 (unity is installed as well)

Once I installed Cairo-dock upon restart it gave me the option to run the dock as the desktop environment!

LewisTM
December 23rd, 2011, 05:31 PM
Cairo-Dock is nothing short of great! You can do EVERYTHING with it.

It makes a really good shell but I still like to run it on top of XFCE with its complete DE features and small footprint panels. I would be interested in learning about user experiences with CD as a replacement GNOME shell.

Tips:
CD can use Compiz plugins for window effects so if you haven't already, install it along with ccsm and enable the D-bus plugin to allow CD to talk to it.

Love the way you can close a program with a single click of the middle button on the task's icon, even if the window is not visible. Set the close "illusion" to 'explode' and turn your taskbar into a shooting gallery!

Ctrl- or shift-click to start a new instance of a program. You can cycle though multiple running instances with the mouse wheel.

Cheers!

bluexrider
December 23rd, 2011, 05:55 PM
So I fell across Cairo-dock the other day, and not being a huge fan of Gnome 3.2 nor Unity, I was thinking about trying Cairo-dock on for size.

Suggestions? Comments? Warnings?

Despite what my account says, I'm currently running Ubuntu 11.10 with Gnome 3.2 (unity is installed as well)

Once I installed Cairo-dock upon restart it gave me the option to run the dock as the desktop environment!
Yes it works well with Gnome 3. I have used it with Mint's version "Lisa" and found it a wonderful add on.

benpack101
December 23rd, 2011, 08:41 PM
Well good! I'm glad there is so much enthusiasm about CD!

The thing is, I've been trying out this 'only' CD thing today, and twice thus far, CD just closes out on me, I have gone ahead and run re-run the program from terminal, but its an inconvenience especially since its the majority of my desktop environment.

When running it again from the terminal, I get this message,

(cairo-dock:4455): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

(cairo-dock:4455): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

Any ideas?

Frogs Hair
December 23rd, 2011, 08:46 PM
Try to install pixmap if not already .
sudo apt-get install pixmap

VanR
December 23rd, 2011, 09:05 PM
I used Cairo-dock as my DE with LM12 and found it is the only way I could stand to use Gnome 3 at all.

benpack101
December 23rd, 2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks Frogs Hair, I think that should fix it, I'm a little busy right now but I will soon restart and hopefully everything'll be good.

Yes, CD is definitely the best way to use gnome 3 at all!