PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] UbuntuStudio 10.04 I have 2 black bars on desktop

DaTzr
December 23rd, 2011, 10:23 AM
Like title says,I have 2 black bars on desktop. I can't get rid of them, move them or figure out why they are there. Anybody got a clue for me to figure out why they are there AND how to be rid of them?
Thanks

Screenshot showing desktop with the bars.

Paddy Landau
December 23rd, 2011, 10:33 PM
The last time I had problems similar to yours, it turned out that the graphics card was breaking. What happens when you right-click on the bars? If it acts as though the bars are not there, that may be your problem.

DaTzr
December 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Well, I'm set up to triple boot with 9.10 and Vista and the bars aren't there or any other video probs noted on ANY of 3. Strange as can be though, yesterday (after the bars have been there for a few months), the lower and shorter of the 2 bars in screen short is GONE. Other still there and not sure just when/why the 1 disappeared! Still odd having the other one there and why 1 would go away. SMH.
:confused:

DaTzr
December 27th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Btw, trying to move them or ANY rR/L clicks did nothing to either. Doesn't highlight,,, nothing,,, no response.
TIA
:roll:#-o

Paddy Landau
December 27th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Do those bars show on top of everything, or do applications cover them?

It may be a driver problem. Open Additional Drivers (while connected to the Internet) and see if anything is listed.

DaTzr
December 27th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Nothing showing in the hardware drivers and yes, apps do 'hide' the bar thats left (upper 1 in screen shot). Still puzzling I waited all this time to say something about the annoyance of the bars then shortly after I decide to come up here and mention, 1 would disappear. Good thing took the shot! Still no other vid problems. LOL
Thanks for the ideas so far.

Paddy Landau
December 28th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I'm sorry, at this point I'm completely stumped. I have absolutely no clue.

Try creating a brand new user, and log in to it. Do the bars still appear?

DaTzr
January 5th, 2012, 03:17 AM
Haven't thought about that concept, but will give it a go in a couple days. Thanks for the effort and thought Paddy. Of course findin out why there are no bar(s) if so, in the new acct would be the next 'thrill'. Will let ya know.
Cheers,
Greg

Paddy Landau:I'm sorry, at this point I'm completely stumped. I have absolutely no clue.

Paddy Landau
January 5th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Paddy Landau:I'm sorry, at this point I'm completely stumped. I have absolutely no clue.

Do you mean you don't know how to create a new user? If that's what you mean, open Users and Groups > Add > follow the prompts to create a new user. Then log out, log in to the new user, and see if the bars are still there.