PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 64 bit vs. 32 bit?

todd1049
December 23rd, 2011, 03:00 AM
I may (?) be getting a new laptop soon, and I plan to install ubuntu on it if/when I get it. I am mulling whether to install 64 bit or 32 bit ubuntu, when the time comes, and wondered whether there are any major reasons to install one instead of the other. Some years back, for instance, there was no 64-bit version of Adobe Flash Player, so this was one reason not to go 64-bit. Are there still compelling reasons today to avoid installing a 64-bit OS? Thanks for your help and insights on this.

ratcheer
December 23rd, 2011, 03:02 AM
Use the 64-bit if your new computer will run it, which it probably will. I know of no major issues. I am certainly not having any.

Tim

QIII
December 23rd, 2011, 05:10 AM
This will get moved to recurring discussions soon...

There is absolutely no compelling reason not to install the 64 bit version if your hardware will support it.

Years ago, 32 bit flash worked just fine on a 64 bit system if it was wrapped.

The industry is 64 bit. You can access 4GB+ of RAM without needing to use PAE.

No reason not to use the 64 bit version. No real reason not to use the 32 bit version if you can find all the software you want in a 32 bit version and you use PAE if you want to address more than 4GB of memory.

But I will say this: Those who clung to 16 bit systems when 32 bit came along started to feel lonely very quickly. It was 8/16 bit before that.