PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] update manager freeze bc dpkg

DeceptiveHornet
December 23rd, 2011, 12:18 AM
Hello!

I'm on my fourth fresh install of Kubuntu 11.10. The installation goes all fine, but when i login and am about to update the system as the first thing i do - the update process freezes at installation on 57%. Once it hits this sweet percentage, it just stops doing anything. The computer doesn't freeze but the update process is just stopped. I have googled but found precious little (read nothing) on how to fix this.

So ... i am placin my hopes in you guys and gals. Anyone know how to fix this extremely frustrating problem?

inobe
December 23rd, 2011, 02:44 AM
forget about the GUI app, run the updates from terminal/ konsole.

run

sudo apt-get update

then

sudo apt-get upgrade

this will get you a list of updates, type y for yes and hit enter.

don't disturb the process, if it stops, you will get an actual error, in any case i doubt that it'll stop.

DeceptiveHornet
December 23rd, 2011, 03:17 AM
forget about the GUI app, run the updates from terminal/ konsole.

run

sudo apt-get updatethen

sudo apt-get upgradethis will get you a list of updates, type y for yes and hit enter.

don't disturb the process, if it stops, you will get an actual error, in any case i doubt that it'll stop.

That did the trick! Strange ... any idea why this is happening when using the GUI?

AckiyBolt
December 23rd, 2011, 04:21 AM
hello. i have exactly the same problem.
i had installed a fresh Kubuntu, everything was fine. but when i trying to update, the progress freezes at 52% and not even trying to move. stops at stage of launching dpkg or something like that. reinstallation and google does not help =)

installed on the noname laptop from Kubuntu DVD 11.10, x32

rotave
December 23rd, 2011, 04:32 AM
how are you installing the update? through a GUI or through the terminal? if using the GUI, try updating via the terminal.

AckiyBolt
December 23rd, 2011, 04:57 AM
how are you installing the update? through a GUI or through the terminal? if using the GUI, try updating via the terminal.

update was installed through a GUI.

I think the problem is solved. I manually killed the processes dpkg and muon, then, through the terminal, reran dpkg:
$sudo dpkg --configure -a
update process was continued. then hard reboot and all was well =)

inobe
December 23rd, 2011, 05:07 AM
yes, the app is new, it must have been pushed upstream with a glitch.

usually updates will include the fixes, just that you have to get around using the app, terminal is the way.

personally, whether or not it's functioning properly, i still use terminal, seems faster.

DeceptiveHornet
December 23rd, 2011, 10:35 AM
yes, the app is new, it must have been pushed upstream with a glitch.

usually updates will include the fixes, just that you have to get around using the app, terminal is the way.

personally, whether or not it's functioning properly, i still use terminal, seems faster.

I see! Thanks for explaining it to me. I'm new to Kubuntu and am finding so much new bells and whistles all the time! I have one follow up question though. Kubuntu keeps reminding me there are security updates, but when i use the commands you gave me - it doesn't really want me to type "y". Instead it just says "3 upgradeable" or something like that. How do i do to install the security updates as well?

inobe
December 23rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
you can highlight the things in terminal, copy and paste them here.

that way i can see.

side note, after the first update, you can use the package manager instead of terminal, you shouldn't have any trouble.

lisati
December 24th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Threads merged.
Please do not start multiple threads for the same problem, it dilutes the community's efforts to help.

teh603
January 4th, 2012, 05:33 AM
I'm having the same problem in Kubuntu; Muon freezes at 53% when trying to update packages, on "running dpkg." Gonna try using the fix in the OP and see if it helps; be back in an hour or two.

Edit: If this affects you, please please PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF PETE MARK THIS BUG AS AFFECTING YOU! https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/packagekit/+bug/905415

The developers don't seem to read the forums, so this is our only way to guarantee communication with them.

RJARRRPCGP
February 11th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Hello!

I'm on my fourth fresh install of Kubuntu 11.10. The installation goes all fine, but when i login and am about to update the system as the first thing i do - the update process freezes at installation on 57%. Once it hits this sweet percentage, it just stops doing anything. The computer doesn't freeze but the update process is just stopped. I have googled but found precious little (read nothing) on how to fix this.

So ... i am placin my hopes in you guys and gals. Anyone know how to fix this extremely frustrating problem?

Help! I have a similar problem, it freezes at 48 percent with Acer TravelMate 4200 and XP Pro SP3 works fine.