PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help configuring Xorg file on 11.10 with Nvidia card

lucacerone
December 22nd, 2011, 11:56 PM
Dear all,
I'm trying to make my ubuntu laptop working fine when I connect it to a projector or to a television. I have Ubuntu 11.10 and an Nvidia card.
What I'd like to know is first of all if I can have sort of "profiles"
depending on the different devices I connect them to.
For example when I connect my laptop to the television I'd like the laptop
screen to be blank and the video to be shown only on the tv.
When I connect a projector I'd like to extend (or sometimes clone) the displays so that I can see the comment of my presentation on my laptop screen and the presentation on the projector.
So first question: how can I create (if it is possible) different profiles?

Second question: how can I make my FN+F4 (is the combination that "switches" the screen mode) to switch between the different profiles?
Before when I connected my pc to my tv I pressed the FN+F4 button and the
screen got cloned to my tv. Now nothing happend and I have to open the Nvidia XServer Setting manually in order to detect the screen and being able to change the display.
Is there a way to reenable this behaviour?

Third (less important) question: when I clone my screen, it is displayed correctly on my tv, but not on my laptop.
They have different resolution, so I was wondering if there is a way to handle such a situation.

Please keep in mind that I never configured xorg by myself so maybe the questions are silly but I have no idea where to start.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help,
Cheers, -Luca