PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] The F10-Shortcut-Problem ...

phil9r
December 22nd, 2011, 07:44 PM
Hiho guys,

sorry for disturbing you with this highly discussed topic but ... im getting crazy!

I installed the latest ubuntu yesterday and im configuring it step by step ...
as i love the midnightcommander you surely know that one needs the f10-key.

but as it comes to disable this shortcut, i think im too stupid dealing with it.
i unticked the boxes at edit->keyboard shortcuts (both of them), i deleted all values in the system while searching for F10 with the gconf-editor, i even found the bug-report at the mailing lists (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/desktop-bugs/2007-February/077602.html).
using apt-get update and apt-get upgrade doesnt help anything at all - although it says "fix released". i cant get rid of this problem and im definetely going crazy solving this problem.

thanks honestly for your help.
phil

gordintoronto
December 23rd, 2011, 01:05 AM
What computer? What keyboard? Did F10 work previously?

On my laptop, I have to hold down a Fn key to get any of the function keys to work as such, otherwise they do things like changing the volume. If you use MC, I doubt if that is your problem....

phil9r
December 23rd, 2011, 12:54 PM
IBM X40. Thougth it would fit into "desktop" issues ...
Its a subnotebook, not a netbook. 4 Years old. As it is a new installation, it didnt work previously - but it did with an old ubuntu-version.
Crashed my harddrive, so i had to buy a new one.
Other F-Keys work as they should i think. F1 opens help etc.

It is not working like nothing happens. It opens the "file" menu bar - but i dont want it to open this menu. ^.^

gordintoronto
December 24th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I see the same result when I run MC and press F10. If I mouse to MC's "file" and click on Exit, that works.

phil9r
December 24th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks for your help.

So there is NO possibility of disabling the F10 Key and use it for the MC only ... ?

gordintoronto
December 25th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Sorry, I don't know for sure. Perhaps something could be done in Terminal's settings.

ray field
April 5th, 2012, 02:54 AM
this is really silly. there must be a way to disable F10 calling up the menu in a menu profile.

isecore
May 11th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Somewhat old thread, sorry for waking it, but I'm also going nuts.

I work a lot in various shells, and I use MC a lot as well. I recently upgraded to 12.04 and now every time I press F10 it insists on displaying the right-click menu from the mouse. It's driving me insane, and I've found nowhere to disable it. I need all my F-keys to be unbound from all functions.

Help!

MrDamian
May 12th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Somewhat old thread, sorry for waking it, but I'm also going nuts.

I work a lot in various shells, and I use MC a lot as well. I recently upgraded to 12.04 and now every time I press F10 it insists on displaying the right-click menu from the mouse. It's driving me insane, and I've found nowhere to disable it. I need all my F-keys to be unbound from all functions.

Help!
create ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

@binding-set NoKeyboardNavigation {
unbind “<shift>F10″
}
* {
gtk-key-bindings: NoKeyboardNavigation
}

isecore
May 13th, 2012, 09:39 PM
create ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

@binding-set NoKeyboardNavigation {
unbind “<shift>F10″
}
* {
gtk-key-bindings: NoKeyboardNavigation
}

Nope, didn't do the trick. Thanks for trying, though. Appreciate it!

PaulW2U
May 13th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Luckily I don't have that problem with konsole in Kubuntu, F10 works perfectly.

But I seem to remember when running an earlier version of Ubuntu I added some keyboard shortcuts to mc. I think I made F12 work as F10 by editing one of mc's config files.

Something to try?