PDA

View Full Version : Don't Get all the Unity Bashing

totfit
December 22nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
I just don't get all of the Unity bashing going on in the Linux community. I have experimented with all the new flavors and offshoots of Gnome 3 and itself and see Unity as the most comfortable. I realize that it is not as configurable as Gnome 2, but nothing else is either. I installed Mint 12 just to see what the fuss was about, but quickly just came back to 11.10.

I guess after any distribution has been around for a while, especially with Ubuntu's popularity there will be splits and spits and those that go elsewhere. Maybe I am one of the few that actually like Unity, but it is simple and suits my needs. Just my thoughts.

oldsoundguy
December 22nd, 2011, 07:29 PM
IMO, the issue is strictly ease of use. I LIKED the simplicity of Gnome with easy to use drop down menus. I never installed any eye candy as I never spent any time on the desktop itself. I just utilized the top and bottom bars and loved it.

Now it takes a manual and a lot of reading just to figure out how to get a program into quick launch .. and a concerted search to FIND the program. Just one of the irritations (and the lack of collated real documentation does not help the issue.)

Kubuntu is not the answer (for me) nor has installing Gnome Classic (hate the extra step on boot up), but EVENTUALLY Unity MAY come into the real world instead of trying to emulate Win7 and OSX. (and doing it poorly)

Still, I am trying to figure it out instead of crying the blues .. as it is here to stay, so time to get over it and work with it.

KiwiNZ
December 22nd, 2011, 07:30 PM
This has been discussed ad infinitum, this thread will be self professing, the inevitable will occur and the the eventual closing.

So to cut to the chase and avoid the carnage........Thread closed