PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow is my interview for job . I need some tips

asifnaz
December 22nd, 2011, 04:12 PM
Hi . I know it has nothing to with Linux but it is cafe after all .
I have fresh MBA (HRM ) degree and applying for assistant HR manager . Aside from intern-ship I don't have relevant experience .

The questions concern me most are ..

Tell me what you know about our business?

Do you think you are overqualified?

Do you mind reporting to someone who is
younger than you?

Which is more important to you, the job itself or
your salary?

Why should we employ you rather than one of
the other candidates?

Any suggestion would be appreciated and How should I behave I don't want to seem over confident and not in-confident as well

thank you

squenson
December 22nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
Think about the competencies required by the job, for example:
- Recruit employees;
- Deliver training;
- Priority settings;

For each, be ready to give one relevant experience, either from a previous job, a previous activity at the university, etc.

asifnaz
December 22nd, 2011, 04:39 PM
Think about the competencies required by the job, for example:
- Recruit employees;
- Deliver training;
- Priority settings;

For each, be ready to give one relevant experience, either from a previous job, a previous activity at the university, etc.

thank you for the tips . If anybody wants to share me some general tips I will we obliged

Paqman
December 22nd, 2011, 04:44 PM
How much interview experience have you got?

Tell me what you know about our business?

Always, always good to do a bit of research about the company. You don't have to go nuts, but check their website and their Wikipedia page.

Do you think you are overqualified?

That's for them to decide. If they ask this point out parts of your skill set that are a good match for the role.

Do you mind reporting to someone who is
younger than you?

Always say no to this.

Which is more important to you, the job itself or
your salary?

Don't lie and say money isn't important, employers aren't stupid. But there's more to staying satisfied in a job than the pay. A good job lets you use the skills you have effectively, rewards you for achieving high standards, and gives you the opportunity to extend yourself. Going home satisfied at the end of every day is just as important as being well paid IMO.

Why should we employ you rather than one of
the other candidates?

Bit of a cheeky question to ask IMO. The whole point of the interview is to establish this, expecting a candidate to sum it up in one answer is putting them on the spot a bit much. Don't slag off the other candidates, whatever you do.

Any suggestion would be appreciated and How should I behave I don't want to seem over confident and not in-confident as well

Try not to sweat it. A good interviewer isn't trying to trick you or make you give the wrong answer. Their job is to get a realistic feel for your actual skills, experience and personality. Unfortunately a lot of it comes down to how well you hit it off with them, especially if you're being interviewed by somebody who'll be your direct superior.

Dangertux
December 22nd, 2011, 04:49 PM
Just hope that if you get the job offer whoever is hiring you doesn't use hire right to do background checks. If they do make sure you have every single shred of evidence that proves everything you've ever done and be ready to fax it to the phillipines ;-)

stalkingwolf
December 22nd, 2011, 04:56 PM
Be honest , Open and watch your body language.a good interviewer will watch your body language as much or more than your verbal responses.

Something i read a while back fits this occasion also, remember even though
they are interviewing you for a position in their company, You are interviewing them for a place in your Future.

How will they fit in your future plans? Marraige, education, children, stability, etc.

Why is the position open? is it a new position? if not why did the last person leave? what would that person have to say about the company?

There are many aspects to an interview.

drmrgd
December 22nd, 2011, 05:06 PM
Be honest , Open and watch your body language.a good interviewer will watch your body language as much or more than your verbal responses.

Something i read a while back fits this occasion also, remember even though
they are interviewing you for a position in their company, You are interviewing them for a place in your Future.

How will they fit in your future plans? Marraige, education, children, stability, etc.

Why is the position open? is it a new position? if not why did the last person leave? what would that person have to say about the company?

There are many aspects to an interview.

Absolutely! Don't forget that you should be evaluating how good of a fit their company is for you as much as they are evaluating how good of a fit you are for their company.

Other than that, I've always been more inclined to hire people who were eager and willing to learn, rather than people who seemed like they knew everything and couldn't wait to point it out. Having background knowledge is expected. However, the ability to fit in with the way our company works, or our group operates is much more important.

Finally the ability to work well and interact well with co-workers is clutch. I would much rather hire someone a little less qualified in the knowledge department if they were someone who would fit well with the team. Anyone can learn the job and the details associated with it. However, changing personalities is much, much more difficult!

TBABill
December 22nd, 2011, 05:11 PM
The interview isn't to "fill the job" for the company. They're looking to complete a puzzle with a piece that can bring the most value to their company. They can hire anyone for the job...just help them believe you bring them the most value.

Ways to do so:

Show how your education has taught you to do things related to HR, such as having excellent communication and interpersonal skills, rationalizing problems to a logical conclusion, working within a small group to manage problems/tasks, etc. Use past experiences that can tie back to the functions of the position, even if they aren't directly related through actual experience with an HR position in the past. Keep in mind your competition may be other college students fresh into the job market as well as people working their way up to management within the HR area, so answers they get back from other candidates will vary widely and the goal is to just make the answer apply to the question.

Don't fidget with your hands, shift in your seat, avoid eye contact or other body language no-no's. Be confident enough to answer honestly without being over-confident. After all, you're wanting the job and you have no reason to be over-confident. Use eye contact, listen well, engage them if it's an interview that permits two way conversation (some are kept very rigid).

Just be yourself. You earned an MBA so you now just need to show that you can apply the same discipline, focus and energy you used in school. Past success is usally a sign of potential future success :)

Paqman
December 22nd, 2011, 05:57 PM
Other than that, I've always been more inclined to hire people who were eager and willing to learn, rather than people who seemed like they knew everything and couldn't wait to point it out. Having background knowledge is expected. However, the ability to fit in with the way our company works, or our group operates is much more important.

Finally the ability to work well and interact well with co-workers is clutch. I would much rather hire someone a little less qualified in the knowledge department if they were someone who would fit well with the team. Anyone can learn the job and the details associated with it. However, changing personalities is much, much more difficult!

This is all good advice asifnaz, take heed!

Warpnow
December 23rd, 2011, 05:16 AM
Ask questions that imply the question, "Why would I want to work for you?"

Obviously don't say it though.

Ask about environment. Ability to grow. Ease of taking on new responsibility. Structure of the company. Means of evaluation.

And this question:

"Which is more important to you, the job itself or your salary?"

I would say the best answer to this question is to explain that it is important for you to be fairly compensated. You don't demand inordinate pay, but expect to be compensated based on your contribution to the company. You expect that as you help the company to grow and flourish, so should you as an employee.

Evil-Ernie
December 23rd, 2011, 10:54 AM
I have been involved in interviewing employees and hiring them so I have little experience of this.

First off read the job spec carefully, the panel will be using this as a frame of reference and they are looking for somebody to fit this criteria first and foremost.
They will already know that your quals fit thats why you get as far as an interview, what they are looking for are proof that you have the skills and experience to do the job, think of what you have done before that relates directly to the skills required in this new role.

After seeing you fit the role skills wise they will be looking to see if you can work in their organsation, somebody that can work with a team and cause little friction or drama in the workplace. In other words you need to seem likeable and easy to work with. So smile, be nice, try to gain a rapport with your interviewers, releveant light humour can work as long as its not offensive or detracts from the process.

A few people have said go in there and act like you are interviewing the company, and that the company needs you. My advice would be to be confident and walk in feeling like you have the job already but don't act like you are grilling them! This will make you come across as cocky and agressive, this may be useful for sales roles etc but for most jobs this would turn me completely off as an interviewer.

Preparation is important, make sure you know your own CV backwards and understand all the points and needs of the job spec. Also don't forget to research the company, what they do, who is in charge, the history, who they own/are owned by and annual turnover and profits.

Always dress to impress, even if the company is casual suit and boot up. It makes you look like you care and are a true professional. Even if the panel are casual they may not want you to be.

They are interviewing a person so be a person, don't be the grey man, show your personality and I wish you the best of luck! :D

asifnaz
December 23rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
Thank you everybody . I was reading your response while waiting for to be called in . This took pressure off and at the same time I got very useful info which really helped me in-front of panel .

The interview was great and they said the will let me know the result in a week .

Thank you again

Dangertux
December 23rd, 2011, 04:38 PM
Pre-emptive attack on the next question that's coming. You may be asked back for a second interview. If you are make sure you're not any more laid back then the first interview. One of the big things they'll be looking for is consistency. So keep on your toes, if you get another interview it's because you're one of only a few remaining candidates and they're looking to cross your name off the list here.

If you do well in the second interview expect an offer. Best of luck to you.