PDA

View Full Version : has anyone here worked for geek squad?

u-noob-tu
December 22nd, 2011, 03:00 PM
im in school right now working on my A+ certification soon to be followed by a Network+. ive been thinking about what job i should look for when i finish my training, and an instructor recommended geek squad. i did some looking around online, and between the two best buy stores in my area, there were over a dozen geek squad jobs. and, much to my surprise and encouragement, linux knowledge was listed as a big plus (I'd say i know Linux :D ). has anyone here worked for geek squad? if so, how was your experience?

Paqman
December 22nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Any kind of retail job would be like my personal idea of hell, but if you like that sort of thing go for it.

a2j
December 22nd, 2011, 04:16 PM
don't remember the last time I heard something positive about "geek" squad.

CableguyJ
December 22nd, 2011, 04:32 PM
High School or College?

I have worked with not for Geeksquad. I work with a large cable provider in commercial services dept. The experience I have had with the Geeksquad has not been good. It is a typical Bestbuy sales pitch, they spend more time trying to sell you special service packs and warranty options than really working on pc's, You won't stay fresh on building machs.
Too bad there are no Compusa's by you.

If you want to go into this field I would suggest trying to find a local pc repair/builder, some sort of webhosting company, or an office environment you can get on with to get networking/pc experience.

If you decide to go the Best Buy route do it with the intention of taking knowledge of what you need and what you can do better than them, save your money, do side work "for pay" for family, friends, and neighbors. This will build your rep and you will find yourself in biz for yourself in no time.

I have beben doing side jobs (structured cabling), for a couple of years now. It makes me just under 1/2 what I get at my job. Once I start making 3/4 or more of my pay check i will then consider leaving and going full time on my own..

I am also taking my A+, Net+, Security+, and CTP+ (Finally) lol.

sorry for long reply.

CableguyJ

thomasw_lrd
December 22nd, 2011, 04:33 PM
From my understanding, Geek Squad doesn't actually get to do anything. It might help, it might not. Any job experience will be good for you, though. I would look on Craigslist, and start sending out resumes. You should be able to find a good entry level tech job, if that's what you're interested in.

stalkingwolf
December 22nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
I have never worked for geek squad and wouldnt. I have had experience with computers they have worked on. And the sales plan they use. Thats easy push the software and items on the stores list that week. even if it isnt what the customer wants or needs.

As for their "repair" qualifications, they are legend. We gave a friend an everex laptop. Loaded with 8.04. He after a time had a problem with it. He took it to best buy ( as i recall his brother the DR recommended them). they told him the board was fried and convinced him to buy a new HP. More on that later.

He sent the everex back to me. as we were in process of moving it was several months before i had a chance to look at it. When i did i plugged it in and off it went. i finally found that it was the processor fan was bad, i used it for a year before i got tired of the graphics issue and packed it away.

On to the HP he bought. After about a year he developed problems with it ( the major one being it had vista on it.) He took it back to best buy. They quoted him just over 200.00 to "fix" it.

He sent it to me, i fired it up ran the antivirus, the anti virus that they installed. 15 minutes later it was running fine. i left it running for 3 days with no problems. Uninstalled most of their software, (warrenty was ended) installed software that worked and sent it back.
He hasnt had an issue since.

Best buy was in the top 3 of ripoffs reported by ch 12 in Phoenix a few years back.

They took a working computer to their IT department had it checked out and certified then unplugged the HDD cable. they took it to several "repair" facilities, best buy , staples a couple other "major" ones and several small independants. the top 3 all quoted between 250.00 and 500.00 to fix it giving pretty much the gamit of causes.

Surprisingly it was the little locals that in most cases just pluggeed the cable back in and sent them on their way.

Selling a person something they dont need or that i know wont fix or do what they want is what has kept me from applying at places like best buy and staples.

lisati
December 22nd, 2011, 04:58 PM
Regardless of whether you end up as part of a geek squad or not, having the patience of a saint and being able to think quickly will be big advantages in any position where your job has you interacting with the public.

totfit
December 22nd, 2011, 07:03 PM
Another place to look for employment that is definitely a step up from "the geek squad" would be for a local school system. Depending on the size the salary would be better and you would be exposed to a wide variety of technical challenges: hardware, software, servers, and networking. Just a thought.

u-noob-tu
December 22nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
hmmm, maybe geek squad isnt the way to go. ill have to do some more looking around. i live in a pretty well developed area, so i imagine there wont be a lot of street corner PC repair shops.

as for "having the patience of a saint", yes i have that level of patience lol (i worked retail in a grocery store).

i am in neither high school nor college. i go to a vocational training center. the fee of taking the certification exams is covered as part of my tuition.

seems that geek squad isnt all that theyve been made out to be. at least i know now.

CharlesA
December 22nd, 2011, 07:58 PM
Geek squad is rather limited as far as what they do. Most of the time they'll push stuff at the customer that they'd not even need. I know it's all about upselling, but damn.

I think most retail "repair shops" Staples/Office Depot/Bestbuy, etc are similar.

Fry's isn't as bad, but they still have their moments.

forrestcupp
December 22nd, 2011, 08:38 PM
don't remember the last time I heard something positive about "geek" squad.

I was thinking the same thing. But honestly, all of the negative things people say are from the viewpoint of the customer, not the worker. The Geek Squad sucks from a customer's perspective, but it might be great to work there. I'd say it might be a good starting point for you to get some experience. Even if they don't let you do much, it will still help your resume when you go to get a better job later.

Dangertux
December 22nd, 2011, 09:34 PM
A friend of mine works there he seems to like it. But he's finishing college still, so it might suit his needs as a student.

I personally think their employees are overpaid and undertrained, that's just my opinion though.

forrestcupp
December 22nd, 2011, 09:36 PM
I personally think their employees are overpaid and undertrained, that's just my opinion though.
Which is a great argument for getting a job there. ;)

Dangertux
December 22nd, 2011, 09:41 PM
Which is a great argument for getting a job there. ;)

Touche` for the short term at least. In the end if you spend a considerable time there, you may find your relevance and overall level of experience lacking.

I guess just weigh the options, if you need a job and nothing else is beating down your door why not give it a shot? It will at least expose you to new things.

u-noob-tu
December 23rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
Touche` for the short term at least. In the end if you spend a considerable time there, you may find your relevance and overall level of experience lacking.

I guess just weigh the options, if you need a job and nothing else is beating down your door why not give it a shot? It will at least expose you to new things.
even though they may not have the most ethical business practices, it may be to my advantage to work there anyway simply because of the reputation geek squad has. i have a geek squad t shirt (which i got for $5) and everywhere i go, i am asked "do you work for geek squad?". an employer may look at that on my resume and think "he knows what he's doing".

forrestcupp
December 23rd, 2011, 03:18 PM
an employer may look at that on my resume and think "he knows what he's doing".

Exactly. An employer's perception is more valuable than the truth. :)

And you know I'm not saying to lie; I'm talking about if they perceive the Geek Squad as a top notch service, when that may not really be the case.

u-noob-tu
December 23rd, 2011, 03:31 PM
Exactly. An employer's perception is more valuable than the truth. :)

And you know I'm not saying to lie; I'm talking about if they perceive the Geek Squad as a top notch service, when that may not really be the case.
Yeah, just don't say otherwise :P

CharlesA
December 23rd, 2011, 03:33 PM
Not your fault that they assumed right?

It's a bit of a grey area, but meh. *shrug*

Dangertux
December 23rd, 2011, 04:34 PM
I agree I'm not downing it , especially if it's the opportunity afforded to you. They may not be the best in the world but in the end if you need a paycheck... It's better than nothing.

Like I said I have no personal experience with geek squad whatsoever, either having worked for, with or having purchases their services. I say give it a shot and see how it works. In the end it's still a retail job you're not going to get too locked in with them, if it goes south make sure you be professional give your two weeks and move on. Worst case scenario you get a few weeks pay.

saneearth
December 23rd, 2011, 05:27 PM
Another place to look for employment that is definitely a step up from "the geek squad" would be for a local school system. Depending on the size the salary would be better and you would be exposed to a wide variety of technical challenges: hardware, software, servers, and networking. Just a thought.

I agree that this would be a good place to look. I work in a large school system and there are a lot of rewarding opportunities and opportunities for growth and advancement. The only issue is that depending on the system the pay varies widely. Some large school systems are comparable to the private sector while others are much less. The much less, however would be comparable to starting pay for Best Buy's Geek Squad.

CharlesA
December 23rd, 2011, 06:19 PM
I agree I'm not downing it , especially if it's the opportunity afforded to you. They may not be the best in the world but in the end if you need a paycheck... It's better than nothing.

Like I said I have no personal experience with geek squad whatsoever, either having worked for, with or having purchases their services. I say give it a shot and see how it works. In the end it's still a retail job you're not going to get too locked in with them, if it goes south make sure you be professional give your two weeks and move on. Worst case scenario you get a few weeks pay.

+1. I don't have any real experience with them outside of horror stories from friends. Retail is still retail tho.

stalkingwolf
December 28th, 2011, 04:32 PM
and there is the old trueism, It is easier to find a job if you have a job.

CharlesA
December 28th, 2011, 04:59 PM
and there is the old trueism, It is easier to find a job if you have a job.
+1. Funny how that works.

t0p
December 28th, 2011, 11:28 PM
A little dated now - November 2011 - but if Juliette Garside knows what she's writing about (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/nov/08/carphone-warehouse-geek-squad-better-retail) it would appear that Geek Squad have a nice rep over here in Britain. Best Buy's going bye-bye, but their erstwhile Brit partners Carphone Warehouse want to keep Geek Squad on? They must be doing something right.

So far as working for them goes: why not? If it makes you feel dirty, you can always walk away. And it's better to be working in the trade if you want to keep working in the trade.

As to whether Geek Squad are any good: dunno. I don't use those kind of places. I like it when a tech takes off the back of a computer and the fear doesn't show in his eyes. :p

Greenborn
January 16th, 2012, 03:42 PM
A job is a job and entry level at Geek Squad may not be the best but it IS a job that pays and gives you SOME work experience. Surviving retail is a badge of honor in my book.

Have you thought of starting your own business working from home? I have a friend that did that for years. He'd pick up or have customers drop off their broken rigs at his place. He did this while he went to college for his computer science degree. Great resume bullet too. Takes some work and time getting customers but you'll be your own boss. It's nice being self employed- no jerky boss to contend with!

wolfen69
January 16th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Google for geek squad sting. They have been caught stealing files and charging for unnecessary repairs. http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/oregon_news_team_finds_geek_squad_incompetent

BrokenKingpin
January 17th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Geek Squad would be a decent place to start for experience, but you probably would want to move onto something a bit better one you get the experience. Certainly better than working in a fast food place.

forrestcupp
January 17th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Not your fault that they assumed right?

It's a bit of a grey area, but meh. *shrug*I was thinking about this, and I don't really think that it's a gray area. The idea that the Geek Squad is a cruddy organization is completely subjective. Most of the people who complain about them are techies. To the average Joe, the Geek Squad is probably a worthwhile solution. So if it's subjective, letting someone have their opinion isn't really a bad thing.

Google for geek squad sting. They have been caught stealing files and charging for unnecessary repairs. http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/oregon_news_team_finds_geek_squad_incompetent
But you can't really stereotype the entire Geek Squad by this. It's not like this was secret Geek Squad policy. You're going to have bad employees anywhere.

a2j
January 17th, 2012, 11:01 PM

the place to be, if you wanna get screwed over. imho

cprofitt
January 18th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Personally I would stay away from Geek Squad. At least in my area having experience with them would cause me to dig real deep to see if bad habits were formed. Your area may be different, but at least be cautious.

I am not sure where you are, but if you are in a vocational school they should be able to help you get some work with the local school district(s). I know my area vocational schools do that.

forrestcupp
January 18th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Personally I would stay away from Geek Squad. At least in my area having experience with them would cause me to dig real deep to see if bad habits were formed.
That's the best argument against working there that I've heard yet. It would be bad for your first job to make you form bad habits.

CharlesA
January 18th, 2012, 05:21 AM
I was thinking about this, and I don't really think that it's a gray area. The idea that the Geek Squad is a cruddy organization is completely subjective. Most of the people who complain about them are techies. To the average Joe, the Geek Squad is probably a worthwhile solution. So if it's subjective, letting someone have their opinion isn't really a bad thing.

That's true. Can't exactly tell someone what to think. :p

That's the best argument against working there that I've heard yet. It would be bad for your first job to make you form bad habits.

+1. Bad habits are, well, bad.