PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu boots into fall-back due to fatal error

greenblob
December 22nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
Hi all,
I installed Ubuntu 11.04 32 bit to my Dell Dimension 5100 on my primary (C) drive alongside my Windows 7 64 bit install.

Both Ubuntu and Windows 7 worked fine, but then I was asked to upgrade Ubuntu to 11.10, so I did. everything was going perfectly, and my PC was in the stage of installing the upgrade which has been downloaded, when I lost power to my PC.

Windows still works fine, as it obviously wasn't affected by the failed Ubuntu upgrade, but Ubuntu didn't go so well...

I select standard Ubuntu boot in Grub 2 boot screen, and the Ubuntu loading screen appears for a few seconds, followed by a blank screen with a dialogue box with no graphical styling telling me it has booted into a low-end mode or something of that nature because it couldn't configure my hardware correctly.

I have a few options, but only one actually has an affect (all the others select fine, I click OK, and nothing happens, I'm instantly back at the dialogue box), but the first option, saying something along the lines of "Boot into Ubuntu low-end this session only, and do standard Ubuntu next time" - I click it, and the Ubuntu loading screen appears with the message "Please wait a minute while Ubuntu restarts your display". This has been here about 10 minutes with no signs of progress, just my HDD whirring away.

Does anybody know roughly what the problem is, and how I could go about fixing it please?

Thanks for any help,
Luke

I can give exact errors if needed, and I can probably bring up and emergency terminal in recovery mode to do some commands if needed.

greenblob
December 22nd, 2011, 11:14 AM
Could I just re-install Ubuntu without affecting Windows?