PDA

View Full Version : GPL and Library Distribution

dodle
December 22nd, 2011, 04:33 AM
So one of these days I might get around to reading the entire GPL... but not today.

I have compiled a bunch of GPL libraries and uploaded them to a forge for distribution (mostly because I'm tired of recompiling the same libraries for new systems). I thought it would be enough to post a link to the source, but I recently read one comment claiming that I have to upload the source for distribution with the libraries. Does anyone know if that is true? If it is, I think that it is a silly part of the GPL and a waste of space. Much of the source that I compiled is located on the same forge as my libraries.

3Miro
December 22nd, 2011, 04:57 AM
GPL technically requires that you include a copy of GPL with your program. When I make a library, then it is much smaller than the entire GPL document, so I don't include GPL, but post a link (although, I do make it clear that the code is distributed under GPL).

I think under GPL 2 you make the code available "upon request", so I think a link should be fine (make sure to keep the link up-to-date, in case it dies).

dodle
December 22nd, 2011, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the info. I don't think that I'll worry about uploading the source then... unless a lawyer comes knocking at my door.

Note: I have been able to read through a few BSD licenses. ;)

Hey Miro, how is it that I joined 9 months before you, but you have 3 times as many beans!? :p

Bachstelze
December 22nd, 2011, 12:37 PM
GPL technically requires that you include a copy of GPL with your program. When I make a library, then it is much smaller than the entire GPL document, so I don't include GPL, but post a link (although, I do make it clear that the code is distributed under GPL).

It your code is that small, there's little point in using the GPL.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatIfWorkIsShort

3Miro
December 22nd, 2011, 01:51 PM
Hey Miro, how is it that I joined 9 months before you, but you have 3 times as many beans!? :p

Posts on the Cafe don't count. I am mostly posting on the Cafe, but I also post on the support forum and I probably do that more than you.

3Miro
December 22nd, 2011, 01:54 PM
It your code is that small, there's little point in using the GPL.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatIfWorkIsShort

They seem to equate small code with small work and that is not true in my case. If I were making a simple script to sort my files, then there is no need for GPL. However, my library required quite a bit of math before I can figure how to write the short code.