PDA

View Full Version : Polyphasic Sleep

IWantFroyo
December 22nd, 2011, 03:36 AM
Information:
http://www.highexistence.com/alternate-sleep-cycles/

I'm planning to try out the Uberman cycle, now that it's winter break. I'm having my first nap at 10:00pm EST (9:28pm right now).

I wanted to know what fellow Ubuntu users think of this kind of thing. Do you think the "adaptation period" is worth it?

The list of books I've been wanting to read and things I want to do has been steadily increasing, and it is now obvious that I cannot do my homework, have a life, and read as much as I would want to at the same time.

Also, if you went polyphasic, what would you do with the extra waking hours you gain? What's the most enticing thing about something like this for you? For me it has to be the lucid dreams.

JDShu
December 22nd, 2011, 04:11 AM
Why does this keep coming up?

KiwiNZ
December 22nd, 2011, 04:19 AM
During sleep your body does many things such as...

Remove toxins from your system
Cell regeneration and healing

You Cardiovascular system slows during sleep this is very important for a healthy Cardiovascular system, You blood pressure drops during sleep, if this does not occur you run the real risk of Strokes, heart conditions such as Congestive Heart Failure, Myocardial Infarction. Also Kidney disease.

You also run the risk of mental changes, depression malaise, headaches and general mental impairment.

These are just some of the risks. A fully grown Adult needs at least 8 hours sleep per day.
A adolescent will in many cases require more.

The risks involved with these Pseudo Science sleep crazes are very real and can be very serious.

Dry Lips
December 22nd, 2011, 04:26 AM
I'm with KiwiNZ on this one... Unfortunately I know what sleep
deprivation can do to a person. I don't think it is a good idea to
cut corners when it comes to sleep. It's not something you'd want
to experiment with.

IWantFroyo
December 22nd, 2011, 04:34 AM
I did my homework here. Typical sleep cycles are 90 minutes, going from just being out with no benefits to REM sleep, which is the type of sleep you aim for.

Polyphasic sleep gets you to go into REM sleep earlier, skipping the unnecessary ~70min sleep that has no known benefits.

@JDShu: An article on this came up about a week ago on Lifehacker restating my source, and a lot of blogs caught on.

Also, I suffer severe insomnia. It's normal for me to sleep about 5 hours a night. I was hoping polyphasic sleep will get me the REM sleep I need without forcing me to goon something like sleeping pills.

KiwiNZ
December 22nd, 2011, 04:42 AM
This is something you should discuss with your Doctor.

This is not a medical Forum, thread closed