PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] updates after support ended

bofak
December 22nd, 2011, 02:27 AM
I'm still running Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook version on my Dell mini (not sure what later version I can trust).

Support for 10.04 (Netbook) supposedly ended in October and I received the usual warnings to upgrade (which I still haven't done), but my Update Manager continues regularly to find updates and I keep installing them. I can't understand what's going on. Am I asking for trouble installing updates that were not intended for my OS?

snowpine
December 22nd, 2011, 02:33 AM
Ubuntu 10.04 is a "long term support" release, supported until April 2013 with a possible extension through 2015. This is why you keep getting updates; there is no need to worry. :)

bofak
December 22nd, 2011, 03:11 AM
Ubuntu 10.04 is a "long term support" release, supported until April 2013 with a possible extension through 2015. This is why you keep getting updates; there is no need to worry. :)

Well, I used to think that this also applied to the netbook version, until I received notifications that this was not the case and that support was ending in October. Perhaps the updates that I'm getting are those intended for the desktop version???

snowpine
December 22nd, 2011, 03:18 AM
You might be right according to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS
I stand corrected.

bofak
December 22nd, 2011, 03:27 PM
I'm still curious as to why I can still receive regular updates for a system that is no longer supported, and also wondering if I am asking for trouble installing updates that were posssibly intended for a different OS.

Is there anyone else out there still running Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook Version and still receiving updates?

Is there any way of finding out whether there has been a change of plan and a decision made to extend support for this system, possibly making it LTS, like 10.04 Desktop? There's a school of thought that says this was the last decent Netbook version of Ubuntu.

snowpine
December 22nd, 2011, 04:27 PM
Ubuntu Netbook is not a separate operating system; it is no more or less than Ubuntu with a different desktop environment or "skin." So the only component you would potentially lose support for is the Netbook Interface; your kernel, applications, and base system are the same as regular Ubuntu. If you switch to another desktop environment (Gnome, KDE, Xfce, etc) then presumably you would get the full 3 years of support on everything including the desktop environment (but I have been known to be wrong before, as I was above).