View Full Version : Eagle mode.

Linuxratty
December 21st, 2011, 11:03 PM
As someone said at Linux Internationals: "Who gave my file manager LSD!?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G6yPQKt3mBA

hansdown
December 22nd, 2011, 02:13 AM
That's kind of neat.

It takes my eyes a little getting used to the zoom.

Linuxratty
December 22nd, 2011, 04:22 AM
That's kind of neat.

It takes my eyes a little getting used to the zoom.

Same here..I was astounded when I first saw it.

Erik1984
December 22nd, 2011, 04:02 PM
It's quite amazing to have such an overview of the system. The greatest thing is that there seems to be no distinction between zooming in to a folder or into the contents of a file (texts and images). However I wonder if I would really want to use it some day :p

BrokenKingpin
December 22nd, 2011, 06:55 PM
Cool demo and tech, but I don't really see why you would need something like this. I can navigate around far better with Thunar.

toupeiro
December 22nd, 2011, 08:40 PM
This has been around for a while now but it looks like it has better media support. Cool to see this project still alive and kicking.

forrestcupp
December 22nd, 2011, 08:45 PM
That's pretty cool looking.

jjex22
December 23rd, 2011, 02:12 AM
That's awesome... same as others, can't see I'd ever use it, but what a toy!

:)

dpny
December 23rd, 2011, 06:16 AM
Cool tech, but more of a file viewer than a file browser.

Copper Bezel
December 23rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
I'd seen this before, but the new media display functions are really, really nice. It reminded me of Jef Raskin's "Humane Interface (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Humane_Interface)," and apparently Eagle Mode is one of two examples on Wikipedia's article on zoomable interfaces, the other of which is Raskin's.

Weirdly enough, I've just been playing with Nautilus's "manual" icon arrangement, which has some elements of a ZUI, and enjoying it more than a person ought to enjoy Nautilus. I'm installing Eagle Mode now.

Edit: The requirement of a middle button and total lack of any real functionality aren't great, but it's terribly fun to zoom into binary files and see the code. Also, .pdfs are crazily fun. Document files other than .odt (including other OpenDocument standards) are rendered as binary, and .odt requires Abiword as a plugin.

Fun stuff, though, and worth having around. Get it here (http://eaglemode.sourceforge.net/download.html).

If you actually want to use a zooming interface in a useful way in Ubuntu, though, Nautilus is actually quite nice. Any folder can be set to "Arrange by -> Manually," so that the contents are a scrollable canvas, and zoomed with Ctrl+Scroll, so you can lay out documents and images and see the contents or previews when you zoom in. That's actually closer to (though still very far from) the Humane Interface concept, and it seems useful for throwing out a bunch of related files for a project and thinking of it in a spatial way.

treesurf
December 24th, 2011, 02:53 AM
If you actually want to use a zooming interface in a useful way in Ubuntu, though, Nautilus is actually quite nice. Any folder can be set to "Arrange by -> Manually," so that the contents are a scrollable canvas, and zoomed with Ctrl+Scroll, so you can lay out documents and images and see the contents or previews when you zoom in. That's actually closer to (though still very far from) the Humane Interface concept, and it seems useful for throwing out a bunch of related files for a project and thinking of it in a spatial way.

I can't find the "arrange by -> manually" setting that you mention here. Where is it?