PDA

View Full Version : What program do you use to build sites with CSS/HTML?

fertileneutrino
December 21st, 2011, 03:11 AM
I'm just getting into this and I don't know which program to use for development (i.e., some interface that compiles the code and shows the website)

Thanks,

FertileNeutrino

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 21st, 2011, 03:59 AM
gedit or any text editor. They give you flexibility and efficiency with the code. You can't always do what you want with a wysiwyg program. The wysiwyg programs can also produce code that is twice as large as knowing how to code CSS and HTML in a text editor.

GWBouge
December 21st, 2011, 04:22 AM
gedit and Geany.

Haventfoundme
December 21st, 2011, 04:43 AM
JEdit is not bad, I really like using it because its cross platform. Only downside, is that is gets a little boggy once in a while.

pastalavista
December 21st, 2011, 04:53 AM
Kompozer is fairly easy to use and learn with.

alphacrucis2
December 21st, 2011, 05:39 AM
Kompozer is ok (yes it does produce somewhat bloated html but the CSS editor is quite good). Kompozer development has more or less stalled though. There is also a fairly new wysiwyg one called Bluegriffon which is being actively developed. The main downside of Bluegriffon is that some of the more useful features are in the form of add ons you have to pay for. Another thing to look at is Bluefish which is not wysiwyg but does seem to be quite popular.

pr3zident
December 21st, 2011, 05:50 AM
Try komodo Edit has a built in browser see what your doing as you go ...

Ctrl-Alt-F1
December 21st, 2011, 06:03 AM
I write my php/xhtml/css in gedit. I used to use notepad++ but then I went all Linux. HTML and CSS are rendered directly by your web browser so just open a browser (Chrome :KS) and keep refreshing it as you make changes.

cap10Ibraim
December 21st, 2011, 07:17 AM
I'm using Quantaplus it's a KDE application

N00b-un-2
December 21st, 2011, 07:45 AM
Nano. I'm old school :D

guyver_dio
December 21st, 2011, 09:36 AM
Any text editor, but one that does html/css highlighting would be helpful. I use to use notepad++ on windows, not sure what's available on linux. There's no compiling, all you do is save it as .html or .css instead of .txt.

You can also use IDE's like netbeans although it's way more than you need for simple css and html. However they are good for managing alot of files if you have alot of html pages and that and they do alot of helpful things like autocomplete what your typing, close tags for you, highlighting, hints etc....

But a simple text editor is best if you're just starting out, it's very manual which means you really get to learn the language well.

Also if you haven't already found this site, bookmark this http://www.w3schools.com/ . It's a great resource for learning and looking up things when you forget.

grahammechanical
December 21st, 2011, 03:56 PM
Then there is Bluefish.

CoffeeRain
December 21st, 2011, 04:22 PM
I used to use Bluefish, but the UI isn't all that good, so I switched to TextWrangler. It's a free version of BBEdit.

CharlesA
December 21st, 2011, 06:03 PM
Then there is Bluefish.
I use Bluefish or Gedit.

Or vim if I am feeling gutsy.

s.fox
December 21st, 2011, 06:06 PM
gedit.

CompyTheInsane
December 21st, 2011, 06:31 PM
I currently use Aptana Studio 3.