PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with hard drive prevents installation

Lyalpha
December 20th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I thoroughly messed up a bunch of files in my hard drive trying to fix a problem where the filesystems wouldn't mount. I formatted the hard drive but Installation of 10.04 from a disk fails saying there is a syntax error in some line of a file /init/scripts/functions I think. That doesn't matter though. I just want to now what I have to do to the hard drive to allow the 10.04 boot disk to install 10.04. Does the hard drive need to be completely wiped instead of formatted?

darkod
December 20th, 2011, 11:56 PM
You should always be able to install even without formatting the hdd. Are you sure the CD hasn't developed a fault, a scratch, etc?

Can you boot in live mode with the CD?

Lyalpha
December 21st, 2011, 12:03 AM
Maybe I didn't format correctly. How would you do it? I can't boot a live cd either. I am currently using knoppix to boot from the cd drive. There is no scratch on the cd. Installing from a usb doesn't work either.

darkod
December 21st, 2011, 12:36 AM
But can you get to a ubuntu live mode to open Gparted? Much better to use a GUI tool for partitions managing.

If you can, simply select the hdd in Gparted, and then in the menu Device - Create Partition Table... Leave the type as default, msdos.

That will write a new blank partition table.

WARNING: That will delete all data on the disk, but I think you already know that and there is nothing you need on the hdd.

Lyalpha
December 21st, 2011, 12:55 AM
Im using knoppix not a ubuntu live cd. I can't get anything to mount to the hard drive, not even a live cd. It doesn't have gparted. It has parted though, although I'm not sure how to use it. I suspect it's not intuitive.

darkod
December 21st, 2011, 01:03 AM
According to the parted manual, you need to do:

- under assumption your hdd is /dev/sda, to write new msdos table and then exit parted execute:

sudo parted /dev/sda
mklabel msdos
quit

Lyalpha
December 21st, 2011, 01:39 AM
msdos is invalid token it says.

Lyalpha
December 21st, 2011, 02:18 AM
I just deleted all the partitions on the drive with fdisk and made a new one. I even formatted the new one to be sure. I still can't install from a disk or a usb stick.

Hakunka-Matata
December 21st, 2011, 07:52 AM
Are your troubles consistent?
Or is the problem changing every time you reboot?
I'm wondering if it may be a hardware problem, loose drive cable, loose screw in the belfry?
But then Knoppix works fine you say, sounds specific to the hdd?, no?

Lyalpha
December 21st, 2011, 06:47 PM
It's consistent. It's definitely not a hardware problem. I would guess that it is a scratched disk but the usb installer doesn't work either.

darkod
December 21st, 2011, 06:55 PM
Any chance to create a usb with a newly downloaded ISO?

If you can't boot at all it doesn't seem related to the hdd.