PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Driver update, is it automatically done or do i have to do it manually?

dioxholster
December 20th, 2011, 09:18 PM
For netbook specifically, do i need to find certain linux driver updates like graphics drivers?

snowpine
December 20th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Everything in Ubuntu (including drivers) gets updated at once when you use the Update Manager.

Are you having a problem with your graphics drivers or just wondering?

dioxholster
December 21st, 2011, 10:18 AM
Everything in Ubuntu (including drivers) gets updated at once when you use the Update Manager.

Are you having a problem with your graphics drivers or just wondering?

none of the games on steam work, except for portal 1, which does open its menu but since its a netbook im not expecting for such a game to work. There are other simple games however that arent demanding at all that should work on a netbook. So far though the only games that work are non-wine outside of steam ones. I thought maybe its a driver problem since virtualbox gives me a directx error whenever trying it there, it could very well be a wine problem though, which I'm not sure why when the games (steam) get a silver rating on the site. Also steam was first installed with playonlinux, could that be why?

snowpine
December 21st, 2011, 02:49 PM
Virtualbox on a netbook is not a good platform for games, in my experience.

If the games are Windows games then my recommendation is to dual-boot and run them on Windows using hardware that meets the game's hardware requirements (your netbook may not have a powerful enough video card for modern games).

Your best bet is to visit the Gaming & Leisure (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=93) sub-forum and post with a descriptive game title like "Help me play (name of specific game) on (your computer hardware model number)?"