PDA

View Full Version : Browsers and CSS

CoffeeRain
December 20th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Hi! I have a problem with browsers and CSS. When I used CSS to put something on the top left corner, I used

{float:left; clear:both; margin:0; padding:0;}
to put it there. In Firefox, it is a few lines down, but in someone's Safari that I checked it with, it is where it should be. Is this because of one of the attributes I used, or because I used the <p> tag? Thanks.

kamaji792
December 21st, 2011, 10:36 AM
Think we need to see a little bit more of your code.

I tried the following, with Firefox 8.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 and the text appeared top left:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>XHTML Transitional 1.0</title>
<style type="text/css">
p {float:left; clear:both; margin:0; padding:0;}
</style>
</head>

<body>

<p>Some text</p>

</body>

</html>

Can I also recommend Firebug for CSS testing and development. It allows you to edit/add CSS and see what it does to a web page.

atb k

CoffeeRain
December 21st, 2011, 04:04 PM
I fixed it by putting it in a div and clearing the div. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll get that. :)

amingv
December 21st, 2011, 05:24 PM
Although you already solved your problem, it is worth mentioning that different browsers may come with different default margins/paddings/borders for elements. For this reason it is sometimes useful to specify a

* {
margin: 0px;
padding: 0px;
border: 0px;
}

rule so that you can individually specify margins, etc. across browsers in an uniform fashion.
If you don't want to use a wildcard you can replace * with the name of the offending tag(s) (in your case I assume it's <body>).