PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed

cariboo
December 20th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I have a Seagae 750MiB hard drive that keeps going defective, I've already had the drive replaced twice under warranty, and now it's gone bad again.

Should I spend the $10.00 to ship the drive back again for replacement, or should I chalk it up to a bad experience?

wolfen69
December 20th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Did you pay $10 the other 2 times you returned it?

cariboo
December 20th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Did you pay $10 the other 2 times you returned it?

The $10.00 is for shipping, the return shipment is free.

wolfen69
December 20th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I might try one more time, but after that I would move on.

inkrypted
December 20th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Considering the cost of new hard drives lately I believe I would give it another go.

guyver_dio
December 20th, 2011, 08:22 AM
really?? hard drives are cheap as chips here. Guess you could try replacement once more but in the future, buy western digital.

Getting a faulty part is one thing, getting a replacement faulty part is another. I would have only sent it away once, after that I'd tell them to shove it.

yetiman64
December 20th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I have a Seagae 750MiB hard drive that keeps going defective, I've already had the drive replaced twice under warranty, and now it's gone bad again.

Should I spend the $10.00 to ship the drive back again for replacement, or should I chalk it up to a bad experience?

By defective do you mean "reallocated sectors" errors in START readings cariboo?

If so, I had about 4 drives (all seagate barracudas) fail in a row as well, the last 3 being replacements of the first new drive. Note that all the failures had the same country of origin (maybe even out of the same factory). I talked to my local computer shop about it and found out seagate also have a factory in Thailand as well. All my drives now are Seagate barracudas from Thailand and not one have failed me yet. I have 4 of them in use, a 250GB, 2x500GB and a 1TB drive.

It seems to me if you note the location of manufacture with Seagate drives you may be able to avoid the problem, particularly if your problem is related to reallocated sectors (known to be an problem of manufacturing drives, seems like a quality control problem even).

Edit: as an afterthought, you may have problems specifically sourcing Thai made seagate drives. I heard recently the factory was affected by flooding unfortunately (I have not confirmed this for myself, only passing on "hearsay").

Paqman
December 20th, 2011, 04:11 PM
really?? hard drives are cheap as chips here.

They'll be going up. The floods in Thailand have hammered some of the biggest hard drive component manufacturers and are forcing prices way up worldwide.

sandyd
December 20th, 2011, 04:15 PM
They'll be going up. The floods in Thailand have hammered some of the biggest hard drive component manufacturers and are forcing prices way up worldwide.
Their already up. And out of stock here as well. I can't even find a replacement 500G SAS drive here, and the prices at the DC are deathly expensive.....

mips
December 20th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Considering the cost of new hard drives lately I believe I would give it another go.

This ^^

I've got a borked Samsung 1.5TB that I have to ship back to South Korea as the local agents are giving me hell.

Dry Lips
December 20th, 2011, 08:05 PM

I had a look at the prices the other day, and yes it is true, they have nearly been doubled. The exception is SSDs.

goldshirt9
December 20th, 2011, 08:34 PM
demand a rebate on the shipping costs.

CharlesA
December 20th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Indeed.

I've been running Seagate drives for my backup drives with no problems as of yet. Internal drives are a mix between WD and Hitachi.