PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to try this puppy!

RAV TUX
June 5th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Puppy linux 2.00,...

while Ubuntu works great on my old PC I have been interested in trying these skinny linux distros. I tried Xubuntu, while nice I wasn't exactly happy with.

Damn Small Linux while popular just doesn't look great, judging from their website and screenshots.

So I have decided to try Puppy Linux 2.0 and Feather Linux 0.7.5

If anybody here has any experience with and advice on puppy or feather please let me know.
:wink:

fuscia
June 5th, 2006, 07:31 PM
i think i finally got puppy working with version 1.0.7 (or whatever. it had a 1 and a 7 in it). it has a history of difficulty with usb devices, if i'm not mistaken. i think i like DSL better, though.

K.Mandla
June 5th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Not a fan of either, although I have used DSL more than once. For ultra-lightweight installations, I use Arch because I can leave out all the unnecessary crap. It makes a huge difference.

RAV TUX
June 5th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I using puppy 2.00 now, it comes loaded with the Dillo web brwser super fast!

The eth0 connection was pretty easy, it actually has a connection wizard, it auto detects very easily.

I must say that this is the fastest this computer has ever been, old 98 compaq, without exageration just as fast as my EM64T box.

Meads
June 5th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I have tried Puppy, it looks ok but i couldnt configure my modem in Puppy so i chose Xubuntu and im happy with it for now :)

RAV TUX
June 5th, 2006, 08:12 PM
I have tried Puppy, it looks ok but i couldnt configure my modem in Puppy so i chose Xubuntu and im happy with it for now :)

did you try the new version 2.00?

this is the first time I have tried puppy and I am quite impressed.

Meads
June 5th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Im not sure which verion i tried, it was about a month ago now. My modem i an alcatel usb modem and i not the easiest to get configured in linux ;)

RAV TUX
June 5th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Im not sure which verion i tried, it was about a month ago now. My modem i an alcatel usb modem and i not the easiest to get configured in linux ;)

That was the old version the new Puppy Linux came out right after Dapper. A couple days ago.

RAV TUX
June 5th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I just tested the page rendering time less them 1 second!

Meads
June 5th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Think ill take another look at Puppy then :)

RAV TUX
June 5th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Think ill take another look at Puppy then :)
Puppy is awesome! I going to give Feather Linux a try....see how that goes but it looks like I will be installing:

Puppy Linux 2.00-Seamonkey

fuscia
June 5th, 2006, 08:39 PM
I using puppy 2.00 now, it comes loaded with the Dillo web brwser super fast!

if you want tabs and ssl support, try this version of dillo - http://teki.jpn.ph/pc/software/index-e.shtml

RAV TUX
June 5th, 2006, 08:55 PM
if you want tabs and ssl support, try this version of dillo - http://teki.jpn.ph/pc/software/index-e.shtml

Thanks fuscia...I'm trying feather linux now, while puppy is nice and super fast, feather linux is knoppix based and comes with Dillo and Firefox as default browsers. The install of puppy comes with Dillo and Seamonkey(also firefox based but Ihave tried it before and I like Firefox better

My other option is to keep Ubuntu and just make it skinny.

RAV TUX
June 5th, 2006, 09:44 PM
ok I could not get the display set up on Feather Linux so I am back on the Puppy, SeaMonkey version, it is nice and fast but I miss my Ubuntu!