PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partitioned c drive for ubunto- now unallocated?? HELP

echapp
December 19th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Hi, I am trying to install ubuntu side by side with windows.

I have 4 primary partitiones with my hp laptop.

ubunto only sees 4 primary partitiones so i tried to delete sda 3 and 4, trying to make them extended and divide c drive into 2 primary partitions. (1 partition for my windows of 200GB, and 1 partition for ubunto of 400GB)

This is what I started with:

sda/1 - boot(windows)-2GB
sda/2 - cdrive (600GB)
sda3 - recovery (windows)-25GB
sda/4 - hp_Tools- 100mb

--------------------------------
I went into terminal -- fdisk to divide my 600gb drive into 2 partitions.

terminal
fdisk
partitioned my c drive, and made the 600GB drive a 200GB for windows to save all my data and pictures. now I have 400GB unallocated under computer management-storage.

I inserted ubuntu and when it came to partitioning screen, it would not allow me to use the 400GB free space, it says its unusable.

How do i make this usable.

I went into terminal-fdisk and deleted recovery partition and hp_tools partition, and created a primary partition with the 400GB free space. I am trying to make and extended partition for recovery, and this worked. when i went to make an extended partition for hp_tools, it says values out of range.

I am a beginner, so if anyone has any idea of this problem please help...

Mark Phelps
December 19th, 2011, 06:44 PM
If you forced the split of the "C" drive while you still had 4 primary partitions, then you could have caused major filesystem corruption as a result.

Not really sure what you have now, so please open a terminal and enter "sudo fdisk -lu" (lowercase L, not a one) and post the results back here.