PDA

View Full Version : Is the music lens useful at all?

kanishkdudeja
December 19th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Since the music lens is only able to show up recently played music files, it is of any use at all?

Atleast, it should be configurable so that it could show music files from a certain directory and not just recently played music.

guyver_dio
December 19th, 2011, 01:31 PM
As we discovered in my thread, I think it actually does search the entire library.

But I'm with you on how it should be configured:

a music lens shouldn't be dependent on the particular player you're using. It should either through a unity configuration tool or using the music lens for the first time ask you where your music is and you can point it to one or multiple folder OR run a smart scan that searches for music files over a certain length that isn't in system folders. Something like that would work far better.

kanishkdudeja
December 19th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Hope it does atleast actually search the entire library.

thatguruguy
December 19th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Hope it does atleast actually search the entire library.

It strikes me that you should be able to find out if it does all by yourself.

kanishkdudeja
December 19th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Well.

I tried it. It did not work. But one of the admins here told us that it does work.

You can refer to the thread at:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1897388

cariboo
December 19th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I only have to albums in my music directory, as I store all of my music on my server. I've never played either album completely, and I don't use Banshee. When you open the music lens, do you see an option to open more songs, beside the word Songs?

kanishkdudeja
December 20th, 2011, 05:05 AM
I was wrong guys. I'm sorry. The lens does look up the entire music library in banshee. When i added the library in banshee, the search results did'nt show up. But when i restarted the system, they did show up. Maybe, a restart was needed for the music lens to pick up the library in banshee.