PDA

View Full Version : Linux on Television (Person of Interest)

drawkcab
December 18th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I know that some of you have been interested in Linux as it sometimes appears in television and film. Here are a couple quick screenshots from Person of Interest where the protagonists seem to use, from week to week, a GNOME 2 DE of some sort.

inobe
December 18th, 2011, 11:24 PM
watching an episode of lie to me, and noticed eli loker checking email on a kde desktop;)

mamamia88
December 19th, 2011, 01:44 AM
I notice this stuff on tv on all the time. In commercials they have obvioius macs but with some weird os on the screen. It's just a way to make crime shows seem "techie" when they are pounding on the keyboard/hacking. I really don't think they are pushing a linux agenda

forrestcupp
December 19th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Most of the time, shows aren't even using a real OS. They're usually just graphic videos that were made only for that purpose.

watching an episode of lie to me, and noticed eli loker checking email on a kde desktop;)

I really wish that show wouldn't have been cancelled.

bluexrider
December 19th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Most of the time, shows aren't even using a real OS. They're usually just graphic videos that were made only for that purpose.

Like NCIS or Mission Impossible.

inobe
December 19th, 2011, 04:10 AM

an award winning series cancelled, dumb move by fox.

Linuxratty
December 19th, 2011, 04:57 AM
an award winning series cancelled, dumb move by fox.

Keep in mind though that the content is not the program...The content is the commercials. The commercials is all that matter.

inobe
December 19th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Keep in mind though that the content is not the program...The content is the commercials. The commercials is all that matter.

nice catch!

BrokenKingpin
December 19th, 2011, 07:08 PM
++

Artemis3
December 19th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Hmm a single bottom panel, with "Computer", Applications, Places, System menus and a "mail" and "help" icons, followed by window buttons, very Clasey, gnome2 inspired no less :) Ah, pretty dark high contrast theme. I guess some mac user asked for the "computer" menu :) Window buttons are on the right tho, and there is no global menu...

Its even more fun in Anime, with engrish and funny look alikes logos, and random program code, including misspelled hello world :)

rslrdx
February 3rd, 2012, 07:42 PM
It was back in the series again. Season 1 episode 13.

Here are some screencaps

http://imageshack.us/g/840/screenshot087y.png/

:popcorn:

X-Seti
February 3rd, 2012, 07:47 PM
Some eps of StarGate and Stargate Atlantis use Gnome.

I got the theme they used a long time ago.. Love to find this again.

tjeremiah
February 4th, 2012, 04:02 AM
It was back in the series again. Season 1 episode 13.

Here are some screencaps

http://imageshack.us/g/840/screenshot087y.png/

:popcorn:
yeah, I caught that too.