PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Oneiric - missing panels from firefox, other

xadder
December 18th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Hi,
Just done clean install of oneiric on new thinkpad x220. All seemed well, but parts of menu bars/panels (not sure if this is right terminology) are missing. For example, I am now in firefox, but there is no sign of the usual line with bookmarks, etc., and no window for http entry, reload etc. I have the window header (currently showing Ubuntu forums - ...), then the tabs, nothing in between. Further, if I click on new tab, I just get an empty pane. Nowhere to type anything.

I think the same is happening with other software. In unison, I can't see anywhere to e.g. change profile, in gnumeric, I don't get anywhere wh
I'm not so used to the Ubuntu software centre, but I can't find anywhere to start the edit software sources process.

Seems like the "middle lines" are missing from several applications. This is a bit limiting :confused:

xadder
December 19th, 2011, 08:53 AM
OK, feeling unobservant, but now I see that some of the menu bar has been transferred to a top-line of the desktop. This top line provides the menu bar for whatever has focus.

The problem now is that I have focus-follow-mouse, so when I move the mouse from my application, the focus picks up e.g. a terminal on the way, and by the time I get to the top of the desktop the menu bar is dealing with an application I have no interest in using.

Now the problem is, how do I access that? If I am running e.g. unison, and want to change my profile, the only way I have found to do that is to move the unison window to the top of the desktop too, then I can get the mouse from unison to the desktop bar. This isn't very convenient!

I tried random ALT- presssings to try to get to that desktop menu, but didn't find a solution so far. Help appreciated.

(Also, is there any way to ask unison to put the menu bars back with the applications, that is where I would prefer them!)