from ref_gl/r_alias.c:22:
ref_gl/qgl.h:30:19: error: GL/gl.h: No such file or directory

in what package can i find GL/gl.h ?

skeeterbug
June 5th, 2006, 06:50 PM
gl.h is a header file for OpenGL.

hod139
June 5th, 2006, 06:58 PM
mesa-common-dev. If you have an Nvidia card, you can grab nvidia's gl.h which will have their own extensions by installing nvidia-glx-dev.

fng
June 5th, 2006, 07:09 PM
mesa-common-dev is installed.
locate can't find a GL/gl.h (yes is did a updatedb)

fng@butters:~$ dpkg -l | grep mesa-common
ii mesa-common-dev 6.4.1-0ubuntu8 Developer documentation for Mesa
fng@butters:~$ locate gl.h
/usr/share/ubuntu-artwork/home/locales-ubuntu/index-gl.html
/usr/share/qt3/doc/html/opengl.html
/usr/share/qt3/doc/html/qaxserver-demo-opengl.html
/usr/share/qt3/doc/html/qaxserver-example-opengl.html
/usr/share/qt3/doc/html/qgl.html
/usr/include/FL/gl2opengl.h
/usr/include/FL/gl.h
fng@butters:~$

fng
June 5th, 2006, 08:29 PM
it seems it a know bug if you upgrade from breezy to dapper: https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/mesa/+bug/29435

I solved it by :
apt-get install --reinstall mesa-common-dev

link6502
June 17th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I recently upgraded to dapper, and I think I'm experiencing the missing opengl headers bug. I tried installing nvidia-glx-dev, but when I tried to compile mplayer, it still couldn't find gl.h.

I looked for gl.h myself, and it looks like it was stuck in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx-dev/include/GL, which the compiler doesn't find.

I can try the reinstall of mesa-common-dev, but I was wondering if I'd be better off with nvidia's gl headers, since I have an nvidia card and use their driver. How do I install those so the compiler can use them?

hod139
June 18th, 2006, 12:46 AM
I can try the reinstall of mesa-common-dev, but I was wondering if I'd be better off with nvidia's gl headers, since I have an nvidia card and use their driver. How do I install those so the compiler can use them?

The choice truly is yours. If you need any of nvidia's extensions in your program, then go with the their headers (of course, compatibility with ATI cards will become an issue). If you want the generic gl headers that all openGL capable cards can use, then use mesa-common-dev. If you want to use nvidia's gl.h, you have to manually copy it to /usr/include/GL (I believe there is a README file in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx-dev explaining all the details).

tenfishsticks
May 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I'm having the same problem with Jaunty! I'm installing VTK on a fresh Ubuntu install and having a time at it. I didn't have this much trouble on Intrepid, but that machine had a nvidia card...

Sockerdrickan
May 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM
mesa-common-dev. If you have an Nvidia card, you can grab nvidia's gl.h which will have their own extensions by installing nvidia-glx-dev.
^