PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help installing libimobiledevices (Ubuntu 11.10)

jgray152
December 18th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Hi Folks,

Did a quick search but couldn't exactly find the answer im looking for

I am so confused. There seems to be so many versions/types of linux/ubuntu. Generic, Debian, keric, lucid, Red Hate gosh I think there is more or none of these have anything to do with me question and im a complete noob

I want to install Libimobiledevice on Ubuntu 11.10. It seems you install it with or through openSUSE or OneClick.....both I don't know what to do with.

Trying to sync Iphone4s. This would be my last option other than virtual software I tihnk

Paddy Landau
December 18th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I think you're a tad confused about distributions. Linux comes in many, many distributions, of which Ubuntu is just one of them. Open SUSE is another, and Red Hat, and Debian.

There are two mainstream package managers that handle program installation and deinstallation. Ubuntu uses the Debian version.

To access the package manager in Ubuntu, the easiest way is to use Ubuntu Software Centre (USC). Open USC, search for the program or the type of program you wish to install or deinstall; when you have found what you want, press Install (if free) or Buy (if not), or Remove (to remove the package).

To install libimobiledevice, enter that word into the search bar in USC. Press Install. (Actually, I believe it comes pre-installed with Ubuntu.)

As far as I know, you use Banshee -- already installed by default -- to sync the iPhone. See the Ubuntu Wiki for information about Apple products (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPod). Please bear in mind that Apple goes out of its way to make it difficult to use non-Apple products (in this case iTunes) to sync, and Apple does not support iTunes on Linux (even though Linux is closer to its operating system than Windows).